Damage to the ulnar nerve is accompanied by disability. In the most unfavorable case, the disease leads to the formation of a "clawed paw". This position of the hand is caused by paresis and muscle atrophy. The most pronounced changes can be seen on the little finger and a ring finger.
An incomplete damage to the ulnar nerve can cause sensory and motor disorders of various degrees. It can be chronic pain or numbness, impaired mobility of the hand accompanied by gradual muscle atrophy. To eliminate all these symptoms by undergoing surgical treatment of ulnar nerve damage in Germany.
How is the ulnar nerve damage treated in Germany?
The ulnar nerve can easily be traumatized due to its location. All of us have repeatedly felt an "electric shock" when an elbow is struck against a hard surface or object. However, if the irritation is too strong or frequent, the nerve structure may have been damaged due to the trauma.
In this case, the treatment aims to:
- Terminate the effect of the pathogenetic factor on the ulnar nerve
- Eliminate the consequences of the damage,for instance; restore the nerve, all of its functions, normal position and functions of the hand, restore atrophied muscles, etc.
The course of the surgery depends on the cause of the ulnar nerve damage. If there are some formations that appear (for example, scars after trauma), the doctor removes them releasing the ulnar nerve. If the patient has an increased risk of repeated damage, the doctor will “hide” it by moving it to the inner surface of the elbow joint. Thus, some prerequisites for the nerve repair are created.
The patient also needs neurological rehabilitation. If the patient does not undergo rehabilitation, the hand muscles and the ulnar nerve itself will require much time to be restored, perhaps even years. In addition, the function may not be restored completely. Therefore, a few days after surgery the patient needs to start participating in some recovery activities. These aim to accelerate the regeneration of the damaged ulnar nerve, normalize the conduction of impulses and build up the muscles of the hand.
Benefits of Treatment in Germany
The main benefits of treatment of the ulnar nerve damage in Germany include:
- High quality surgery with minimal tissue traumatization and rapid recovery of the patient
- Adequate anesthesia during and after surgical procedure
- High-precision diagnostic procedures that enable surgery planning and monitoring of its course
- Most clinics are staffed by highly qualified doctors with a high reputation all over the world
- High quality rehabilitation that can quickly restore the function of the ulnar nerve and hand after surgery
Clinics where one can Undergo Treatment
Most large German clinics have a Departments of Neurosurgery where patients can undergo surgical treatment to repair the ulnar nerve damage.
Here are some of them:
- Charite University Hospital Berlin. It is one of the most prestigious German clinics, which has a well-equipped Department of Neurosurgery. The doctors of this department perform more than 5,000 surgical procedures annually.
- University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf. This hospital is one of the top ten German medical facilities and one of the largest clinics. Neurology is one of the priority areas of focus at the hospital. Therefore, peripheral nerve surgery is very successful here.
- University Hospital Bonn. It specializes in neurosurgery and neurology. The Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Bonn has the some of the most advanced medical equipment. Minimally invasive peripheral nerve surgery is performed here.
Arrangement of Treatment in Germany
If you have suffered ulnar nerve damage and want to undergo diagnostics and treatment in Germany, you should contact Booking Health.
We will help:
- Find the best hospital where you can undergo a comprehensive surgical procedure
- Speed up the waiting time for an appointment with the doctor, which will reduce the negative consequences of ulnar nerve damage for the hand function
- Issue a visa, translate medical documents into German
- Get a good medical insurance that will cover unplanned medical expenses in case of additional diagnostic or treatment procedures
- Consultations with the attending physician within three months after the completion of your medical program
Leave a request on our web site. Our trusted consultants at Booking Health will get back to you within a short while to discuss the details.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova