Endocrinology deals with the treatment of diseases of the endocrine glands. Most of these pathologies are caused by excessive or insufficient production of certain hormones. There are also other types of hormonal disorders, for example, those caused by the impaired tissue sensitivity to hormones, as it occurs in type 2 diabetes mellitus – the most common endocrine disorder.
- What endocrine diseases can be treated abroad?
- Treatment methods for endocrine diseases
- Why is it worth undergoing treatment abroad?
Most endocrine disorders are treated with conservative methods, such as medications, lifestyle modifications, and non-drug procedures. In some cases, the doctors perform operations, minimally invasive procedures, and use various radiation therapy options.
You can undergo your treatment in one of the following hospitals: University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Hospital Neuperlach Munich, or University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden.
If you decide to undergo your treatment abroad, the Booking Health company will fully organize your trip. Our company's specialists will recommend a clinic and a treatment method, make an appointment for you, help you apply for a visa and come to the hospital, and translate the necessary documents into a foreign language. During your treatment, you will be accompanied by an interpreter, and your personal medical coordinator will constantly be in touch with you via messengers.
What endocrine diseases can be treated abroad?
You can undergo the treatment of endocrine disorders abroad. Hospitals in developed countries use innovative methods to eliminate the cause of a hormonal imbalance or completely compensate for metabolic disorders. Some diseases can be cured once and for all. Other pathologies can be brought under control so that they do not cause any damage to the body and do not affect the patient's quality of life.
The main diseases treated by endocrinologists are:
- diabetes mellitus;
- hypothyroidism, autoimmune thyroiditis, diffuse toxic goiter, and other thyroid diseases;
- Cushing's disease and syndrome;
- adrenal insufficiency;
- pituitary adenoma;
- hyper- and hypoparathyroidism (an insufficient or excessive function of the parathyroid glands).
Endocrinologists abroad also deal with the problems of impaired metabolism in hormone-producing tumors of any localization, hypovitaminosis, obesity, infertility, osteoporosis, etc. In practice, the doctors of this medical specialty devote most of their time to the fight against diabetes mellitus and thyroid diseases.
Treatment methods for endocrine diseases
The main tools in the hands of an endocrinologist are medications. Doctors use medications that:
- compensate for a hormone deficiency;
- block the production of hormones or suppress their effect on the target organs;
- improve the susceptibility of tissues to certain hormones;
- eliminate the consequences of the hormonal imbalance;
- lead to the atrophy of the organs that produce excess hormones.
In many cases, lifestyle modifications, such as a diet, physical activities, and weight loss, help patients to improve metabolic processes and mitigate the effects of the hormonal imbalance.
The doctors of the Departments of Endocrinology cooperate closely with representatives of other medical specialties since the treatment of endocrine disorders is sometimes performed using surgical techniques, radiation therapy, or radionuclide techniques. Endocrinologists abroad do not perform surgical interventions. They are performed by highly specialized surgeons, depending on the localization of the problematic organ.
Basic operations in endocrinology abroad are as follows:
- pituitary adenoma removal – in developed countries, it is performed with the use of endoscopic techniques, through the nose, instead of the classical neurosurgical operation;
- adrenal gland removal (adrenalectomy) – in Europe, it is performed with laparoscopic techniques through short abdominal incisions;
- bariatric surgery for obesity treatment (endoscopic or laparoscopic);
- endoscopic procedures and operations to restore the blood supply to the limbs in diabetic foot syndrome;
- thyroid removal surgery.
The treatment of pituitary adenoma involves not only the use of surgery but also radiation therapy. In addition, radionuclide techniques are used to combat thyroid diseases. Doctors inject radioactive iodine intravenously, which destroys the organ. This procedure is used not only for thyroid cancer but also for some diseases that lead to thyrotoxicosis (excessive production of thyroid hormones).
Why is it worth undergoing treatment abroad?
To receive top-class medical services, you can undergo your treatment in one of the endocrinology clinics abroad. The treatment in a country with a developed healthcare system offers the following benefits:
- high-precision diagnostics to detect the causes of endocrine disorders with their follow-up elimination;
- full compensation of impaired metabolism using modern medications;
- if a surgical intervention is required, it is performed using the most sparing, safe, and less traumatic techniques (laparoscopic and endoscopic interventions);
- the use of innovative treatment methods: endovascular interventions and stereotactic radiation therapy;
- safe pediatric endocrinology;
- A close interdisciplinary interaction: endocrine diseases are treated by doctors of different medical specialties, which ensures the best results.
With the Booking Health website, you can see the prices in various hospitals abroad and make an appointment for your treatment at the best price. We will select the specialized centers that achieve the best results in treating particular diseases and arrange your treatment trip.
The article was edited by medical experts, board-certified doctors Dr. Vadim Zhiliuk and Dr. Sergey Pashchenko. For the treatment of the conditions referred to in the article, you must consult a doctor; the information in the article is not intended for self-medication!
WHO - World Health Organization