Many functions of the central nervous system are affected after a stroke. Sometimes a person can’t move, speak, write, understand oral speech, etc. Different patients have different disorders, depending on the part of the brain involved into the pathological process.
Is it possible to restore the lost functions?
It is very important to start the rehabilitation as soon as possible. Some lost functions can be restored completely or partially, others can only be compensated. There are rehabilitation centers in Germany where the patients can undergo recovery after a stroke. The best specialists, such as kinesiotherapists, speech-language pathologists, physiotherapists, neurologists, neuropsychologists, and others work there.
A complete recovery of the central nervous system lost functions is possible only during the first 6 months after the stroke. Therefore, it is necessary to start the rehabilitation activities as early as possible. They begin in the intensive care units and are followed by further early rehabilitation. The repeated supporting courses will be required in the future.
The results are mostly achieved through the activation of brain areas, which are located next to the damaged due to the stroke neurons. Many motor functions can be restored. It is more difficult to achieve the results in patients with following disorders:
- Targeted precise movements
In the early rehabilitation period patients have signs of central paralysis: muscle tone is irregularly increased, muscle contractures and reflex muscle spasms occur.
The main purposes of physical rehabilitation are the following:
- Restoration of normal muscle tone
- Normalization of reflexes
- Prevention of joint pain
- Restoration of the ability to contract paralyzed muscles
- Combination of the individual muscle contractions into one motion
At first, the patient is taught to move within the ward, then – within the hospital department. The ultimate goal of the rehabilitation therapy is the patient's ability to fulfil activities of daily living.
The basic principles of restoring the person's motor activity are:
- Target muscle groups training
- Formation of dynamic stereotypes in the brain
- Adjustment of physical activities to the patient's condition
- Gradual adaptation of a patient to new physical activities with the increasing intensity
- Combination of therapeutic physical training with other methods of treatment
Rehabilitation in Germany
In German rehabilitation centers patient's restoration includes not only the normalization of the musculoskeletal system functioning. Whenever possible, German doctors try to restore all the lost functions. Specialists work on the patient's speech, his psychological state, ability to maintain balance, and to make precise movements. Patients with difficulties with swallowing, breathing, sleeping also receive help here.
The following rehabilitative methods are used:
- Functional proprioceptive training
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Microcurrent treatment
- Biocontrol with feedback
- Muscular fasciation
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation and other techniques
The individual plan is elaborated for each patient. Doctors of different medical specialties take part in the rehabilitation process.
All large rehabilitation centers are well-equipped. There are modern simulators and devices for physiotherapy there.
Benefits of the rehabilitation after a stroke in Germany include the following:
- Years of well-established rehabilitation programs
- Individual approach
- Qualitative care for seriously ill patients
- Comprehensive rehabilitation with application of the various methods
- Teaching the relatives to look after patients
If necessary, you can undergo rehabilitation after a stroke in Germany. The company Booking Health will help you to organize the trip. We will recommend you the best rehabilitation center, help you to receive an invitation for treatment from the clinic, and to prepare the documents. We will also meet you at the German airport; you will be accompanied by an interpreter. If you book a treatment with the help of Booking Health, you will also get a good discount for the services of German clinics.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova