A stroke is a significantly severe neurological disease. It can be hemorrhagic and ischemic.
Hemorrhagic stroke happens in 15% of cases, but it is more severe. It occurs due to ruptured blood vessels which result in a hemorrhage in the brain. Fatality amounts to 70% in the absence of timely surgical treatment. Ischemic stroke occurs more often - in 85% of cases. It represents a partial brain death due to a blockage in the blood vessels that feed it. Mortality from ischemic stroke is also high. Every third patient dies within 28 days after the stroke.
Features of stroke treatment in Germany
Germany is a country with a highly structured course of treatment for stroke in Europe. Therefore, the mortality and stroke related disability of patients are lower here. Neurological rehabilitation is performed more effectively here.
The main advantages of stroke treatment in Germany are:
Organization of specialized “stroke units” neurological centres. These stroke units use the latest equipment and drugs of the latest generation for the treatment of strokes. In total there are about 200 such centres in Germany. All of them apply methods of treatment and diagnostics that comply with modern protocols and are certified by the Association of Neurologists of Germany.
Simultaneous management by several specialists. Specialized centres provide not only assistance in the treatment, but take part in the rehabilitation of patients. In addition to neurologists and neurosurgeons, stroke treatment centres also have neuroradiologists, psychologists, physiotherapy specialists, and speech therapists among their personnel.
Special stuff training. Treatment and care of patients is carried out by competent personnel. Nurses and doctors, who treat patients after a stroke, must undergo special training.
Modern methods of treatment and conducting scientific researches and developments. Stroke treatment methods are one of the most promising directions in healthcare in Germany. This country actively conducts its own scientific research on the treatment of strokes. One such technique is the thrombolysis of the cerebral vessels. It is effective for ischemic strokes, when there is a clotting of the cerebral arteries by a thrombus.
Moreover, in Germany they:
- Develop ways of introducing thrombolytics intra-arterially
- Investigate the possibility of destruction of thrombi by ultrasound
- Study the possibility of combining thrombolysis and creating conditions that prevent the death of brain cells (cooling, the use of special drugs)
- The introduction of microspheres or vesicles for cavitation of the thrombus
- Use of intravascular surgical interventions to eliminate thrombi
Minimally invasive treatment. Presence of formed hematomas in the brain, which give a pronounced neurological symptomatology, require the removal of these formations. Subarachnoid hemorrhages are treated by the obstruction of damaged vessels. Either the restraint of special clamps that do not give blood to enter the vessel (clipping), or the use of special endoscopic interventions, when the damaged area is turned off from the bloodstream by means of a coiling (embolization) are used for this. A platinum spiral embolus is introduced for the procedure.
Qualitative neuroimaging. The doctor controls the diagnostic tools with the help of the most informative and modern diagnostic methods when carrying out endoscopic interventions. CT and MRI scans are used for the imaging. The latest equipment, which is used in this case, not only accurately establishes the boundaries of the lesion focus due to high resolution, but also helps to determine the density of the focus, to simulate three-dimensional image models using computer programs.
Complete care and monitoring of the patient's health. The first 3 days, while patients are in intensive care units, their status is monitored continuously - the patient is under the supervision of a doctor and 2 nurses.
Full and comprehensive rehabilitation. The rehabilitation process is carried out in a comprehensive manner in Germany. It is aimed at achieving maximum patient independence in domestic conditions.
Different methods are used to achieve the goal:
- Muscular fasciculation
- Biocontrol with feedback
- Functional proprio training
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation
- Neuromuscular electrostimulation
- Treatment with microcurrents, etc
In addition, patients are helped to restore lost speech functions by qualified speech therapists. Much attention is paid to the psychological condition and the mood of the patient. Competent psychologists work at the centres, to provide appropriate assistance at all stages of neuro rehabilitation.
Hospitals that offer a stroke treatment course
Germany has a variety of healthcare institutions which are ready to help foreign patients get rehabilitation after a stroke. Here are some of them:
- Harlaching Academic Hospital at the Ludwig Maximilian University. The patient can undergo diagnostics and get emergency medical help in the first hours after the stroke in the Department of Neurology and neurological intensive medicine of this institution. This is a clinic for emergency medicine. Here, the most advanced techniques are used to prevent the death of brain regions due to stroke.
- Giessen University Hospital. Patients with stroke are treated in the clinic’s Department of Neurology. Here they effectively use thrombolysis (dissolution of blood clots) and intravascular surgical interventions. Diagnosis and conservative treatment for strokes of various etiologies are carried out as well. The stroke unit works in the hospital. If necessary, the patient can receive neurological emergency intensive care.
- Median Bernkastel-Kus Rehabilitation Hospital. Stroke rarely passes without consequences. Therefore, after the main stage, the patient needs neurological rehabilitation. It can be done at the Neurology Department of the Median Bernkastel-Kus Rehabilitation Hospital, where the latest methods of restoring the patient's mobility, his speech and self-service ability are available.
Arrangement of treatment in Germany
You can use the services of Booking Health at the choice of a clinic for treatment abroad. Our advantages are:
- Possibility of urgent treatment in Germany. The timing of treatment is extremely important in the case of a stroke, when every delay can cost a patient’S life and leads to irreversible changes in the brain.
- Insurance against complications up to 200 Thousand Euros. Stroke is a serious illness, the treatment of which is not cheap. But initially the agreed cost of therapy will not change, as all unforeseen expenses will be covered by insurance.
- Service offers. We provide an interpreter, help choose a clinic, issue a visa, and agree with the administration of the medical institution on the timing of medical care and the conditions of the patient's stay in the clinic. You can take advantage of transport services "airport-clinic" and "clinic-airport".
Submita request on the web site, indicating your diagnosis and attaching medical documentation. After considering it for several hours, our specialist will contact you and suggest the best diagnostic, treatment or rehabilitation program.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova