Due to the difficulties associated with the organization of treatment in Turkey, Switzerland, South Korea and India, we are not currently processing requests to these regions.
If you are interested in treatment in Germany, please leave a request and our specialists will contact you as soon as possible.
Over 400,000 new cases of bladder cancer are diagnosed in the world annually. In 75% of patients, the tumor is detected at the early stage. However, in every fourth person it is detected at the stage of invasive bladder cancer, after lymph node lesion or appearance of distant metastases. The five-year survival rate of patients with metastatic cancer who undergo standard treatment does not exceed 6%, but thanks to the very latest innovative treatment methods that German doctors use today, it is possible to give patients many years of active life.
- Standard treatment – disadvantages and limitations
- Advanced and effective treatment methods for stage 4 bladder cancer
- Stage 4 bladder cancer treatment at the specialized hospitals in Germany
- Organization of treatment in Germany for patients with stage 4 bladder cancer
Standard treatment – disadvantages and limitations
Stage 4 bladder cancer can be diagnosed with the presence of one of the following conditions:
- Development of distant metastases
- Development of regional metastases in the nearest lymph nodes
- Invasion of the tumor into the pelvic wall
These circumstances make it almost impossible to cure the disease with such standard methods as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
The standard approach to the treatment of metastatic bladder cancer involves systemic chemotherapy with two or four drugs, which can increase a person's life expectancy by several months.
When using classical therapy, which has a long experience, it is also impossible to avoid such disadvantages and limitations as:
- High toxicity
- Traumatism and long-term recovery after surgery
- Impossibility of a complete cure for cancer
- High cost of medical services
- Suppression of the immune system with chemotherapy and radiation
Advanced and effective treatment methods for stage 4 bladder cancer
The doctors in Germany are undoubted leaders in the application of the very latest achievements in bladder cancer treatment. The individually tailored treatment is developed and provided by such highly qualified specialists as oncologists, urologists, radiologists and others.
The very latest and the most effective methods for bladder cancer treatment in Germany include the following options:
Embolization of tumor vessels in the treatment of stage 4 bladder cancer
Embolization is the blockage of a blood vessel with an embolus. Various substances that completely and permanently close the arterial lumen can be used as emboli. A small incision in the groin is sufficient to administer them. The procedure is performed under X-ray guidance. It is safe and well tolerated by patients, does not require long recovery and very rarely causes complications.
The doctors in Germany are increasingly giving preference to embolization of bladder arteries at stage 4 cancer. If required, this procedure can be performed emergently, in the case of severe hemorrhage. It is minimally invasive, does not require general anesthesia and can be performed even in patients weakened due to the disease.
THe specialized hospitals in Germany perform superselective arterial embolization. The doctor inserts a catheter into the internal iliac artery. Then he assesses the specifics of blood supply and arterial outflow using a contrast agent. The doctor uses emboli to detect and block smaller vessels that feed the bladder and the tumor. As a result, haemorrhage stops completely. This procedure is possible even in the case of a high anesthetic risk and severe haemorrhage. It has minimal health risks and does not require rehabilitation.
Chemotherapy agents can be added to the composition of emboli. In this case, the technique is called transarterial chemoembolization. It has an additional therapeutic effect: chemoembolization in cancer treatment suppresses the tumor for several weeks due to the release of chemotherapy agents from microspheres. The high concentration of drugs penetrates cancer cells, so the effect is more pronounced than when using systemic chemotherapy. At the same time, the targeted action of cytostatics contributes to less side effects.
Immunotherapy for stage 4 bladder cancer
Another advanced technique in the treatment of stage 4 bladder cancer is immunotherapy. German doctors also use this technique quite often.
Immunotherapy is not aimed at destroying cancer cells, but rather at stimulating immune responses against bladder cancer. The drugs block the tumor's ability to evade the attack of the immune system. The result of this treatment is long-lasting. The tumor cells are completely eliminated.
Benefits of immunotherapy:
- It affects only cancer cells, but not the whole body
- It has minimal side effects and does not cause serious complications
- It can be used even in patients in a severe condition, at the advanced stages of bladder cancer and concomitant pathologies of the internal organs
- It provides a stable result that excludes a need for repeated courses of therapy in the future
- The treatment method destroys not only the primary tumor of the bladder, but also distant metastases
- Immunotherapy is effective even at the advanced stage of cancer
The specialized hospitals in Germany provide comprehensive treatment of the advanced stages of cancer, in particular, stage 4 bladder cancer. Classical medicine is complemented by an integrative approach. After surgical removal of the bladder, the patient is treated with alternative methods. Such an approach provides the best results with minimal health risks.
Stage 4 bladder cancer vaccines
The clinical trials involve the use of dendritic cell-based vaccines for stage 4 bladder cancer treatment. They are effective inducers of antitumor response. These antigen-presenting cells have the unique ability to capture, process and present tumor antigens to T lymphocytes. They also enhance the anti-tumor activity of natural killers (NK cells). Dendritic cells not only enhance the activity of other cells of the immune system, but also have a direct cytotoxic effect against the tumor.
Immunotherapy is not only effective, but also safe, which is very unusual for cancer treatments. Dendritic cells have mild and short-term side effects.
In case of bladder cancer, vaccines targeting particular antigens are used: human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) and several tumor-associated antigens (TAAs). The whole tumor cells containing the antigens are used for the production of vaccines.
Stage 4 bladder cancer treatment at the specialized hospitals in Germany
Everyone knows that the health care system in Germany is one of the best in the world. The government annually allocates huge funds for programs to improve the qualifications of doctors and medical staff, the development of medicine, the development of innovative treatment methods for various types of diseases, vaccines and maintenance of high quality services. Here one can definitely count on the most modern and effective treatment available today.
Germany has several specialized hospitals and doctors who are ready to offer the patients with stage 4 bladder cancer the comprehensive therapy using classical and alternative treatment methods.
Organization of treatment in Germany for patients with stage 4 bladder cancer
To undergo comprehensive treatment of stage 4 bladder cancer in Germany, you can contact Booking Health – the leader in organizing treatment for patients from all over the world. We are the only certified medical tourism operator in the world whose quality of services is confirmed by the prestigious ISO 9001:2015 certificate, which testifies to the professional approach in the treatment of foreign patients.
Based on an individual approach for each patient, in this case with a diagnosis of stage 4 bladder cancer, our managers and doctors will provide qualified assistance and take care of the following important aspects in the prompt organization of the treatment in Germany:
- Selection of highly qualified hospital and direct communication with the attending physician
- Preliminary preparation of the treatment program without repeating previous diagnostic examinations
- Provision of a favorable cost of hospital services, without any extra charges and coefficients for foreign patients (saving up to 50%)
- Doctor’s appointment on the desired date
- Control of the medical program at all its stages
- Assistance in buying and forwarding medicines
- Communication with the hospital after treatment completion
- Monitoring of invoices and return of unspent funds
- Organization of additional diagnostic examinations
- Top-class service for booking hotels, airline tickets, transfer, interpreting services
To get professional help in planning treatment in Germany, please leave your request on the official Booking Health website. A competent medical consultant will discuss with you all the medical details and help you correctly prepare for the flight for treatment.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!