Turkey is one of the five world leaders in health tourism. More and more foreign patients come here to treat diseases. The government is actively developing health tourism, planning to receive 2 million patients from other countries in 2023 and earn over $20 billion. Significant successes have already been achieved in this direction: Turkish hospitals have more than 1 million medical tourists every year.
Why is it better in Turkey?
The medical tourism industry is developing worldwide. The total cost of it is more than $100 billion a year.
Most countries with advanced medicine are attractive to foreign patients, but the prices they charge are often too high. Turkey is an exception in this regard. The local hospitals offer competitive costs. The cost of diagnostic examination and treatment here is much lower than in the United States or Western Europe, but the quality of the services provided remains at the same high level. To attract medical tourists with affordable prices, the government abolished VAT for foreign patients who undergo treatment in the hospitals certified by the Ministry of Health of Turkey.
Here are some of the reasons why it is worth choosing Turkish hospitals:
- JCI accreditation. More than fifty Turkish hospitals have the certificate of the most authoritative organization that assesses the activities of medical clinics. According to this indicator, the country leads in Europe and ranks second in the world. A JCI certificate means that the hospital uses both effective and safe treatment methods for the patient, offers well-organized work and provides comfortable conditions.
- Prices. Turkish hospitals provide high-quality healthcare services, but their cost is 2-3 times lower than in Western Europe, the USA or developed Asian countries.
- Medical facilities. Tens of billions of dollars have been invested in Turkish medicine over the past few years. Most large private clinics are aimed at foreign patients and keep the bar high. They use state-of-the-art medical technology.
- Infrastructure. Turkey has been developing tourism for decades. Therefore, there are large airports, a huge number of comfortable hotels, good roads and convenient transport link.
- Hospitality. In Turkey, foreigners never face a negative attitude from the locals. There is no racial, religious or other intolerance. Everyone understands that the country's economy largely depends on the number of tourists, and therefore you are always welcome in Turkey.
- Rest. In most cases, foreign patients are not constantly at the hospital. They have plenty of free time to relax in Turkey, visit local tourist sites and see the sights. Upon treatment completion, many people stay in the country to strengthen their bodies and restore strength in one of the many resorts.
- Saving. Turkey is not an expensive country, and therefore non-medical expenses will not be high here as well, which is especially important for patients who require long-term treatment or rehabilitation.
Thus, Turkey offers ideal conditions for health tourism. That is why the number of foreign tourists who visit this country doubles every 2 years.
Oncology in Turkey
About 4 out of 10 patients visiting Turkish hospitals come to this country for cancer treatment. The country has indeed achieved significant success in oncology treatment.
Turkish specialists undergo training and internships in the best hospitals in the world. The hospitals have at their disposal modern equipment, which is why the most advanced types of cancer treatment are used here. Here are some examples:
- Prostate cancer is cured with a probability close to 100%. Turkish medical centers perform laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgeries to remove the affected prostate gland.
- Colon cancer is removed through laparoscopic access. After such an operation, patients recover faster and are less likely to suffer from dangerous complications. Even at the last stage of cancer, treatment can be effective, since doctors perform cytoreductive surgery followed by intraperitoneal chemotherapy.
- Breast cancer is not only cured by surgery. Turkish doctors restore the shape of the female breast using the patient’s own tissues or implants. The reconstruction can be performed simultaneously or in the second stage of treatment, after radiation therapy.
- Blood cancer (acute leukemia) is treated with chemotherapy, and if it ineffective, then a bone marrow transplant is performed. The country performs more than 3 thousand such procedures annually. The vast majority of them are effective – they cure cancer and do not give serious complications.
In Turkey, doctors use radionuclide methods, brachytherapy, Gamma Knife, photodynamic therapy and many other effective methods for cancer treatment.
Other medical specialties for health tourism
Aesthetic plastic surgery remains extremely popular. In Turkey, the clinics offer breast augmentation, tummy tuck, nose reshaping. Some plastic surgery centers successfully perform even the most complex reconstructive operations after injuries, cancer, or to eliminate congenital malformations. Among patients after 40 years, anti-aging treatments are popular. Many men travel to Turkey to have a hair transplant.
The patients from Western Europe and the USA often visit Turkish clinics for dental treatments. Dentistry here is much cheaper, but not inferior in quality to the clinics of developed countries.
More and more patients come to the Departments of Neurosurgery at Turkish hospitals. These departments perform operations on the brain and spinal cord in case of spinal and traumatic brain injuries, tumors, myelocele. Turkish neurosurgeons treat epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, strokes and other diseases.
In Istanbul one can find the largest Eye Clinic in the world, which is called Dunyagoz Hospital Istanbul. It performs more than 100 eye surgical procedures every day. Most of them are performed using laser technology. The clinic treats glaucoma, cataracts, refractive errors, retinal diseases.
A large number of couples visit Reproductive Centers in Turkey. They can undergo both diagnostics and treatment of infertility in these centers. The medical facilities successfully apply assisted reproductive technologies, such as IVF, ICSI, PICSI, preimplantation genetic diagnosis. If necessary, the germ cells are frozen and can be stored for an unlimited time. The centers use donor oocyte programs, surrogacy programs.
In Turkey, patients can also undergo cardiac surgery. The hospitals use both complex open-heart surgery and the methods of interventional cardiology. Many hospitals perform coronary dilatation procedures, atrial septal defect closure and artificial valve implantation using minimally invasive endovascular procedures.
If you are interested in the possibility of health tourism in Turkey, you can book a diagnostic or medical treatment program in this country through Booking Health. Our portal presents leading Turkish hospitals. We are organizing trips abroad for the purpose of treatment, we help to decide on a medical institution, we support medical tourists. Thanks to Booking Health, you can get treatment easier, faster and cheaper.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Vadim Zhiliuk