Germany becomes more and more popular as the medical tourism destination. Among the countries of Europe, Germany has the best medical system. More than 11% of GDP is invested in the healthcare system here, and this brings the obvious results. Germany ranks the third place in the world’s life expectancy rating. This country is the second one in the female life expectancy. German doctors are ready to provide each patient with the highest quality medical services, without paying attention to his citizenship.
Health care quality in Germany
In any German hospital you will receive only the qualitative treatment, because the physician and the medical center where you will undergo treatment are responsible for your health and life. It doesn't matter what country you come from. You will officially stay at the hospital and receive a treatment with all necessary medical documentation. All treatment methods in certain situations are determined not by the personal preferences of a doctor, but by the directives and recommendations of authoritative medical associations. Therefore, only methods with proven clinical efficacy are used in Germany, as opposed to developing countries.
All hospitals regularly undergo the state inspections for compliance with the quality standards adopted in the country. Only the latest technologies, the most advanced operating techniques, innovative drugs and treatment methods are used in Germany. This allows to achieve the best therapy results making it more effective, safer and more comfortable for the patient.
The new therapeutic techniques, new drugs, new surgeries are constantly being developed in the country. All clinical researches are aimed to reduce pain and side effects, to increase treatment tolerability and efficiency. Researches in German hospitals are aimed to develop new high-quality treatment methods for various diseases.
The strict requirements are also imposed on companies which help foreign patients to undergo examinations or treatment in German hospitals. The international quality control certificate ISO 9001: 2015 takes into account qualifications of specialists, competence of assistance in the selection of specialized hospitals and doctors, level of travel organization and services. The first organization in the world which obtained the ISO 9001: 2015 certificate in the field of medical tourism was the company Booking Health. You can read more about the criteria of this international certificate here.
Why is the treatment in Germany ahead of other countries?
German medicine offers patients more opportunities than other countries do. This is quite natural due to the following aspects:
- High financing of the healthcare sector development, the amount of funding is up to 11% of GDP
- Continuous advanced training and confirmation of the academic title of is a prerequisite for work for German doctors
- High-tech treatment using minimally invasive endoscopic and robotic techniques
- The latest pharmaceutical developments and drugs which were checked in the clinical trials
- Integrative approach to the diagnostics and treatment which takes into account specificity of each patient’s case
- Costs of medical services are transparent and regulated at the legislative level
Germany ranks the third place in the world regarding the number of doctors. There are more than 4 doctors per 1000 people, including the narrow medical specialists of the highest class.
The healthcare system in Germany is clearly structured to provide quick and effective medical care. The country has over 2100 medical institutions. These are large university hospitals, municipal clinics and private praxes. Depending on the disease and general medical condition of the patient, the treatment is carried out on outpatient or inpatient basis. There are 8 beds per 1000 people.
Each hospital has separate statistics on the number of correct diagnosis, successfully performed medical procedures, risk of complications and effectiveness of rehabilitation measures. This information allows you to choose leading hospitals, which consistently demonstrate excellent results.
Leading university hospitals in Germany
Charite University Hospital, Berlin
According to the authoritative Focus magazine, Charite University Hospital is the largest hospital in Europe and it traditionally ranks 1st among the TOP hospitals in Germany. The hospital includes more than 100 departments, institutes, and specialized centers. More than 10,000 employees with the highest qualifications in various fields of medicine work here. Charite University Hospital leads in the neurosurgical interventions, treatment of cancer and epilepsy.
University Hospital Cologne
University Hospital Cologne is a multidisciplinary diagnostic and medical institution of the highest level, comprising 35 specialized departments, 10 centers of competence, and 14 institutes. Work of the hospital is marked by the international quality certificate ISO 9001, and the oncological section has special awards, such as DKG (specialized certification of high-level cancer centers) and EUSOMA (European Society of Breast Cancer Specialists).
University Hospital Rechts der Isar, Munich
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich combines practical activity and extensive scientific work (the hospital is the scientific and practical base of the medical faculty at the Technical University of Munich). The hospital annually admits more than 250,000 patients for treatment and is known for excellent technical equipment. The interventional radiological treatment methods are actively used here, the proton and radiation therapy is carried out in adults and children.
Leading municipal (academic) hospitals in Germany
Academic Hospital Marien, Duesseldorf
Academic Hospital Marien in Duesseldorf was founded in 1864. At first it was a small hospital which became a multidisciplinary medical center later. It offers comprehensive care for the international patients that is based on 11 internal departments and 7 interdisciplinary centers. Urology and oncourology are the special competences. The hospital is equipped with the latest generation da Vinci-X® robotic systems and it is a part of the Center for Interdisciplinary Robotic Surgery (ZIRO).
Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the University of Frankfurt
Hospital Sachsenhausen - Academic Hospital of the Goethe University Frankfurt annually admits more than 50,000 patients for the treatment and leads in the field of minimally invasive surgical interventions. In particular, the hospital is known far beyond Europe due to the unique author's methods of bariatric surgery (surgery aimed at the treatment of obesity), gynecological and endocrine surgery, as well as complex treatment of diabetes mellitus.
Academic Hospital Bogenhausen, Munich
According to the Focus magazine in 2018, Academic Hospital Bogenhausen in Munich ranks among the TOP national hospitals in Germany. Having about 1000 beds for inpatient treatment, the hospital combines 16 medical departments, as well as institutes for diagnostic and interventional radiology, neuroradiology, and nuclear medicine. The hospital is well-known thanks to a certified stroke unit, which provides emergency care at all stages of stroke.
Leading private hospitals in Germany
PAN Clinic, Cologne
PAN Clinic Cologne is renowned for a complete follow-up of the patient from the stage of comprehensive diagnostics to complex surgeries. Doctors of 25 therapeutic and surgical specialties, as well as experienced team of anesthesiologists, work here. In particular, the clinic is well-known for providing specialized medical care for women with benign neoplasms and breast cancer (including full range of treatment and plastic surgery). The highest level of medical services at the clinic is confirmed by the international certificate ISO 9001: 2008.
Beta Klinik, Bonn
Beta Klinik Bonn consists of 30 specialized departments, and employs 60 doctors and 180 nursing staff. Considering the wide range of medical specialties, the hospital offers individual prophylactic examinations "Beta Check" for international patients. In addition, the hospital is known far beyond the borders of Germany due to the achievements in the treatment of epilepsy. Both the pharmacotherapy and VNS therapy, as well as the removal of epileptogenic foci using the MRI-guided laser ablation (innovative neurosurgical system Visualase) are performed here.
Diagnostic Clinic Kantpraxis Berlin
Diagnostic Clinic Kantpraxis in Berlin specializes in comprehensive examinations for diagnostics in complex clinical cases. Excellent technical equipment, extensive laboratory capabilities and high qualifications of medical personnel allow doctors to help patients who suffer from controversial complaints and don’t respond to long and various previous treatment. Despite high workload of the hospital, the doctors successfully cope with the flow of patients due to their system of planning and quality management.
The costs of medical care in Germany
The treatment in Germany is much cheaper than in Israel and other European countries and its quality is one of the highest in the world.
Unlike many countries, the costs of medical services are regulated by the law. Therefore, prices for a medical tourist will be the same as for a German citizen.
Here are the prices for the most popular medical services:
- Minimally invasive surgery in cervical disc herniation – from 4,900 €
- Minimally invasive surgery in lumbar disc herniation – from 4,500 €
- Surgical removal of the brain tumor – from 13,000 €
- Removal of a brain tumor with the latest model of Gamma Knife – from 8,300 €
- Examination and therapy in complex forms of epilepsy – from 6,900 €
- Hip replacement and rehabilitation – from 14,800 €
- Treatment of the hip joint arthrosis – from 9,300 €
- Total knee replacement and rehabilitation — from 14,700 €
- Pacemaker implantation – from 9,500 €
- Coronary stent implantation – from 5,900 €
- Coronary artery bypass grafting – from 19,000 €
- Surgical closure of the atrial septal defect – from 11,700 €
- Surgery of complex combined cardiac defects – from 21,200 €
- PSMA therapy in prostate cancer – from 9,800 €
- Sectoral resection in breast cancer – from 8,500 €
- Stomach cancer surgery – from 23,600 €
- Lung cancer surgery – from 17,600 €
- Proton therapy in brain cancer – from 54,000 €
- Transurethral resection of the prostate using a green laser – from 5,300 €
- Prostatectomy with the help of the da Vinci robot in prostate cancer – from 9,500 €
- Non-invasive kidney stones removing – from 5,300 €
- Correction of erectile dysfunction – from 1,800 €
- Surgical treatment of varicocele – from 5,500 €
- Retinal detachment surgery – from 5,750 €
- Lens replacement in cataract – from 6,000 €
- LASIK correction of myopia – from € 6,000
- Laser therapy in varicose veins – from 4,300 €
- Surgical removal of kidney stones in hydronephrosis – from 6,600 €
- Endoscopic surgery in inguinal hernia – from 4,300 €
- Natural childbirth – from 4,400 €
- C-section childbirth – from 5,400 €
- Diagnostics of infertility – from 2,600 €
- Artificial insemination – from 5,900 €
- Uterine fibroids surgery – from 6,600 €
- Basic check-up – from 2,600 €
- Gynecological check-up – from 1,400 €
- Orthopedic check-up – from 1,300 €
- Ophthalmologic check-up – from 1,600 €
- Full body extended comprehensive examination – from 7,400 €
Rehabilitation (recovery after the main therapy course):
- Cardiac rehabilitation – from 480 € per day
- Orthopedic rehabilitation – from € 316 per day
- Neurorehabilitation after a stroke or injury – from € 585 per day
The unique benefits of Booking Health
We are the company Booking Health GmbH and we will help to organize a treatment in any German hospital. Booking Health offers help in such important aspects:
- Choosing the right clinic based on the annual qualification profile
- Establishing communication directly with your doctor
- Preparing medical program in advance, without repeating previous examinations
- Providing favorable costs, without overpricing and additional coefficients for foreign patients (saving up to 50%)
- Booking the appointment on the necessary date
- Monitoring medical program at all stages
- Help in buying and forwarding of medicines
- Communication with the clinic after treatment completion
- Control of invoices and return of unspent funds
- Organization of additional examinations
- Offering service of the highest level: booking hotels and plane tickets, transfer organization
Treatment in Germany gives any patient the opportunity to live a long life, maintaining his mobility and working capacity. This is the reason why Germany belongs to one of the most attractive medical tourism destinations in the world.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!