It is now possible to go to Germany for treatment!
We issue urgent medical visas to enter Germany!
Please contact us! We know everything about the available flights around the world!
The University Hospital Bonn is a modern and comfortable for the patient hospital. 31 specialized departments and 21 institutions operate on its basis. There are over 30 operating rooms where qualified doctors perform various surgical operations.
Work of the University Hospital Bonn is awarded by European and international quality certificates. For example, the ISO 9001 certificate confirms standardization of the medical services quality according to international criteria. The KTQ certificate reflects high quality and transparency in the provision of medical care. The hospital was awarded DKG and EUSOMA certificates for achievements in the field of oncology, in particular, in the treatment of breast cancer.
Where is the University Hospital Bonn located?
Bonn is a small German city which was the capital of the Federal Republic of Germany for more than 40 years, till its unification with East Germany in 1990. The city is located on the Rhine River. The population of Bonn slightly exceeds 300,000 people.
Despite small size of the city, there is a large university here which has been functioning since 1697. Emperor Wilhelm II and Karl Marx studied at the University of Bonn in their time. Today, this university has one of the largest hospitals in Germany – the University Hospital Bonn, where patients from all over the world come for the treatment.
The city has a well-developed transport network. There is no subway here, but there are buses and trams, also covering intercity routes. Trams can even take you to nearby located Cologne. There is the international airport between Bonn and Cologne which receives flights from all countries.
Spheres of hospital specialization
The University Hospital Bonn is a multidisciplinary medical institution which offers treatment for the full range of diseases in adults and children. Its specialists have achieved the most outstanding successes in certain medical fields, for example:
- Breast cancer. The Department of Gynecology, Mammology and Oncogynecology ranks annually among the TOP specialized departments, which are the best in the treatment of breast cancer. Its head, Prof. Dr. med. Walther Kuhn, ranks in the list of the best breast physicians in Germany. All types of operations on the mammary gland, hormonal therapy and targeted therapy, as well as the oncoplastic esthetic interventions are performed here.
- Cardiac Surgery and Cardiology. The Department of Cardiac Surgery specializes in heart surgery. The endovascular surgical interventions are widely used here. In total, more than 1,700 operations are performed in the department annually. 1,000 of operations are performed using the heart-lung machine. The Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology admits patients with cardiovascular diseases. Special attention is paid to the treatment of patients with inflammatory lesions of the heart, congenital and acquired defects, coronary heart disease, etc.
- Neurology. The Department of Neurology offers medical care for poorly treatable neurodegenerative diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, and Parkinson's disease. On the basis of the department, the international clinical trials are carried out, during which new possibilities of drug therapy are developed. There is also a stroke unit in the department for provision of emergency care in patients with acute cerebrovascular circulatory disorders.
Leading specialists of the University Hospital Bonn
The staff of the University Hospital Bonn includes more than 4,500 employees; over 750 of them are doctors. Thanks to their skills, active scientific work, and high treatment success rates, the leading specialists of the hospital are known far beyond the borders of Germany.
Prof. Dr. med. Markus Essler heads the Department of Nuclear Medicine. All known radionuclide methods are used in the department. These include treatment of bone metastases with Radium-223, diagnostics and treatment with Lutetium-177 in prostate cancer, radioiodine therapy with Iodine-131 in pathology of the thyroid gland, radioimmunotherapy with Yttrium-90.
Prof. Essler is a member of the German Society of Nuclear Medicine (DGN), the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM), and other professional communities. He has patented the treatment method for multiple myeloma with Bismuth-213 labeled anti-CD38 antibodies. Professor also discovered the specific peptide which makes possible selective introduction of drugs in the breast tissue during its precancerous changes.
Prof. Dr. med. Frank Holz heads the Department of Ophthalmology. Before joining the University Hospital Bonn, he studied at the universities in Germany and the USA. Professor has more than 20 years of work experience. His special interests include macular retinal degeneration and methods of vision restoration in case of retinal damage. All treatment options are available on the basis of the department, including implantation of bionic retina.
Prof. Holtz is a member of the European Board of Ophthalmology (EBO), the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), and the German Ophthalmological Society (DOG). He is one of the developers of the laser retinal correction technique.
Prof. Dr. med. Friedrich Bootz, the Head of the Department of Otolaryngology, specializes in operative otolaryngology and plastic surgery. Prof. Bootz performs endoscopic and open surgical interventions in patients of all age groups, starting with young children. During surgical procedures the 3D navigation system is used. It minimizes risk of complications and allows the doctor to predict treatment result in advance.
Prof. Bootz is the co-author of 3 fundamental tutorials on general otorhinolaryngology. He also developed manuals for imaging and surgery of the skull base which are actively used by students and practitioners. In addition to German professional societies, Prof. Bootz is an honorary member of the Romanian Society of Otorhinolaryngology, the Pan-Hellenic Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
Prof. Dr. med. Christian Elger guides the Department of Adult and Pediatric Epileptology which together with the Department of Neurosurgery forms the Epilepsy Center. Preoperative diagnostics and surgical treatment of epilepsy (more than 150 operations per year) are performed here.
In addition to diagnostics of complex cases of epilepsy, Prof. Elger pays attention to the social adaptation of patients. For example, he actively uses possibilities of psychotherapy and neurorehabilitation for the correction of motor, cognitive, and mental disorders.
Prof. Elger regularly participates in specialized clinical trials and is a member of working groups on the elaboration of new options in the treatment of epilepsy.
Prof. Dr. med. Peter Brossart is the Head of the Department of Oncology, Hematology, Rheumatology, and Immune Oncology. The main focus of his practical and scientific activities is treatment of oncological diseases with the help of molecular methods (targeted therapy, immunotherapy). Professor is looking for specific molecules which can only be found in cancer cells and can serve as a target for drugs.
Prof. Brossart is a founding member of the Association for Cancer Immunotherapy and one of the developers of the molecular-targeted therapy of cancer. He is also a member of the German Society for Hematology and Medical Oncology (DGHO), the cancer societies of Holland, Belgium, France, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
Costs of treatment at the University Hospital Bonn
Costs of treatment at the University Hospital Bonn are regulated at the state level. There is no artificial overpricing for innovative treatment methods or special additional costs for patients from other countries. Below you can find approximate costs of examination and treatment.
Oncology and Hematology:
- Diagnostics of colon cancer – 4,998 €
- Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) – 45,617 €
- Brachytherapy in breast cancer – 8,448 €
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy with own tissues or implant – 16,968 €
- Treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia with drugs (1 course) – 13,318 €
Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery:
- Treatment of aortic valve stenosis with a prosthetic method (replacement with a biological or mechanical prosthesis) – 37,519 €
- Minimally invasive prosthetics in mitral valve prolapse – 35,344 €
- Treatment of angina pectoris with percutaneous coronary angioplasty – 9,456 €
- Implantation of phakic lenses – 8,681 €
- Laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK) – 8,801 €
- Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) – 8,575 €
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of retinal detachment with implantation of bionic retina – 19,179 €
- Diagnostics and surgical treatment of retinal detachment using retinal cell transplantation – 16,041 €
Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mammology:
- Surgical treatment of mastopathy – 6,576 €
- Diagnostics of dyshormonal breast hyperplasia – 3,751 €
- Vaginal or laparoscopic hysterectomy in uterine fibroids – 10,083 €
- Plastic correction of the vaginal enlargement – 9,516 €
- Natural childbirth – 6,280 €
Neurology and Neurosurgery, Epileptology:
- Diagnostics and conservative treatment of Alzheimer's disease – 5,897 €
- Diagnostics and conservative treatment of multiple sclerosis – 9,660 €
- Surgical treatment of Parkinson's disease with pallidotomy – 22,405 €
- Diagnostics and conservative treatment of epilepsy – 5,000 €
- Resection of intracranial germinoma – 20,921 €
Organization of treatment at the University Hospital Bonn
Doctors of the hospital willingly admit for a treatment not only German citizens, but also foreign patients. People from any country can receive medical care here. Due to the high rating of the hospital, thousands of international patients use this opportunity annually.
Nevertheless, a medical tourist may face a lot of difficulties, such as:
- Organizational aspects – you need to apply for a visa, translate medical documents into German, agree on the treatment with the administration of the hospital, solve all domestic and legal issues, find an interpreter.
- Trip to Germany and back – you need to book tickets for the desired date, get from the airport to Bonn and then to the hospital, find a hotel for the accompanying person, etc.
- Waiting for admission – if you have an emergency situation, you will have to wait a few weeks for hospitalization; if you are going to receive a non-emergency treatment, waiting for an appointment can reach several months.
All these issues can be successfully solved by the company Booking Health. We have been involved in the medical tourism for many years and we are the experts in this field. Booking Health offers help in such important aspects:
- Choosing the right clinic based on the annual qualification profile
- Establishing communication directly with your doctor
- Preparing medical program in advance, without repeating previous examinations
- Providing favorable costs, without overpricing and additional coefficients for foreign patients (saving up to 50%)
- Booking the appointment on the necessary date
- Monitoring medical program at all stages
- Help in buying and forwarding of medicines
- Communication with the clinic after treatment completion
- Control of invoices and return of unspent funds
- Organization of additional examinations
- Offering service of the highest level: booking hotels and plane tickets, transfer organization
Please, leave the request on the website of the company, and a patient case manager will contact you on the same day. Specialist will help you to solve organizational issues, and begin preparation for the trip.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova