You don’t always need to wait for signs and symptoms of a disease to manifest, before you go to the doctor or to the hospital. Health conscious people, who pay careful attention to their well-being, especially as they age, go for regular check-ups. A Check-up is a preventive measure. It can be general or aimed to detect certain groups of pathological processes in the human body.
The patient decides by what kind of check-up he/she needs, depending on the state of his/her health. For instance, if chest pain disturbs a person from time to time it is worth having a cardiological screening. In case of sexual dysfunctions one needs to have urological or gynaecological exam and so on. People who don’t have any disturbing factors, simply need to have a basic screening. You can also choose an in-depth advanced examination of the entire body to be certain, in case you have some concerns regarding your health.
German hospitals offer a full body check-up diagnostics. It differs with the high veracity and diagnostic accuracy. Examination processes which are not available in other countries are used here. Let’s have a look at the types of check-up in Germany.
Most patients who don’t have any symptoms prefer a basic check-up. It’s possible to undergo additional in-depth examinations relying on its results, in order to determine if there are any irregularities in the tests.
Basic check-up includes:
- Medical examination and clinical examination of the patient
- Blood test for thyroid hormones
- Biochemical blood test to assess the function of the kidneys, liver, pancreas (urea, creatinine, bilirubin, hepatic enzymes, pancreatic enzymes)
- Blood test to evaluate carbohydrate and fat metabolism (glucose, triglycerides, cholesterol)
- Evaluation of blood coagulation function
- The level of electrolytes in the blood
- ECO in a state of rest and with a load
- Ultrasound of the pelvic organs, abdominal cavity, including a Doppler sensor for evaluation of the vascular condition
- Chest X-ray
A patient receives the results and consults with a doctor who gives recommendations as for the necessary changes in the lifestyle, intake of medications or further examination (in case some pathological processes are found).
These are the following hospitals where one can have a basic check-up:
- Alfried Krupp Rüttenscheid Hospital offers two departments for internal healthcare. A person can have basic check-up in one of them with the use of the latest diagnostic techniques. You can also have an in-depth diagnostics if there are some deviations from the norm in the tests.
- Zum Heiligen Heist Academic Hospital has a very well equipped diagnostics unit,including proper devices for ultrasound, ECG, radiography. Hospital labs use high-quality consumables and reagents, which provides a highly accuracte diagnosis.
- Neuperlach Academic Hospital at the Ludwig-Maximillian University (LMU) is a modern hospital also with high-tech diagnostic equipment. A patient enjoys the highest level of comfort at the clinic.
Patients with dyspepsia (belching, heartburn, flatulence) or abdominal pain often undergo a gastrointestinal check-up in German hospitals. In addition to general clinical studies, it includes:
- Determination of iron and hemoglobin levels in the blood for the diagnosis of anemia
- Tests for inflammation markers
- Examination of feces for latent blood, Helicobacter pylori antigens, elastase
- Gastroscopy to test for Helicobacter pylori infection, performing a biopsy of the gastric mucosa
- Colonoscopy with the simultaneous removal of polyps in the event of their detection, as well as their subsequent histological examination
You can also have gastroenterological check-up in such German healthcare institutions:
- Alfried Krupp Steele Hospital is a large clinic including 18 departments. Gastroenterological check-up is conducted in Department 3 of Internal Medicine. Diagnostics and treatment of most digestive system diseases are successfully carried out here: the stomach, intestines, esophagus and pancreas.
- Alfried Krupp Rüttenscheid Hospital. Gastroenterological pathologies are diagnosed in the Department 1 of internal medicine. Here both invasive and non-invasive procedures are used. The hospital is equipped with everything necessary for endoscopic tests.
- Giessen University Hospital is a private hospital in Germany. Diagnostics and treatment of all internal diseases including gastroenterological are conducted here. Innovative diagnostics and treatment techniques are applied here.
Patients suffering from heart pathologies, or have a medical history of heart disease and t wish to have and exam relating to cardiovascular issues can undergo a cardiological check-up in Germany.
The standard list of diagnostic procedures in this case is:
- General clinical research
- Biochemical blood test, including the definition of heart disease markers
- Analysis of blood gas composition
- ECG at rest and with exercise
- Determination of body composition
- Doppler echocardiography color
- Dopplerography of cerebral vessels;
- In case of hypertension - examination of the fundus
- According to indications - angiography using CT
Hospitals where you can have cardiological check-up are:
- Asklepios Stadtklinik Bad Wildungen possesses all the latest techniques for the heart pathologies screening. Cardiology is a special priority for the doctors working in the Department of Internal Medicine.
- PAN Clinic multidisciplinary private hospital. Hospital’s Department of Internal Medicine and cardiology focus on the detection and treatment of heart pathologies. Doctors are experienced and are prepared for correcting diagnostic errors or giving an informed second opinion.
- Harlaching Academic Hospital at the Ludwig-Maximillian University (LMU) is one of the most comfortable hospitals in Germany for patient’s. This clinic is new and boasts a fleet of high-tech equipment. Cardiovascular disease diagnostics are carried out in the Cardiology Department, of Internal Medicine and Pulmonology.
All women, regardless of whether she experiences symptoms or not, should regularly undergo a gynecological examination in order to prevent the pathological diseases of the reproductive system. It will include:
- General clinical tests
- Determination in the blood of cancer markers (chemical compounds indicating the possible development of cancer)
- Determining the hormone levels in the blood
- Urine test
- Gynecological examination
- Vaginal ultrasound, pelvic organs, mammary glands
- Colposcopy (examination of the cervix with a special device)
- Mammography (radiographic examination of the mammary glands)
- A smear from the structures of the genitourinary system (vagina, cervix, urethra) followed by culture examination ( pap smear)
- Biopsy of the cervix if indicated
Hospitals where gynecological check-ups can be performed are:
- Giessen University Hospital can offer women complete diagnostics in just 2 days. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of this medical institution focuses on early detection of oncological pathology.
- Marburg University Hospital has a Department of Gynecology. Priority directions of activity are diagnostics and treatment of endocrine and oncological diseases of the female reproductive system. Adolescent girls are being treated here as well. There is a Mammological Centre where a woman can undergo a diagnosis for breast pathologies.
- Schwabing Academic Hospital at the Ludwig-Maximillian University (LMU). The department of gynecology and obstetrics includes such services as female examination, as well as treatment of pathological processes in case of their detection, including using surgical methods.
Men who suffer from reproductive or sexual dysfunctions can go for a urological check-up in Germany which includes:
- Biochemical blood test for evaluation of kidney function
- Blood test for PSA (prostate cancer marker)
- A blood test for androgens (male hormones)
- Urinalysis to evaluate the function of the urinary system
- Ultrasound of the prostate, kidney, bladder
Hospitals where the early detection of urological diseases are examined:
- Alfried Krupp Steele Hospital carries out highly accurate tests in the Department of Urology and Urological oncology. Tests are aimed at the detection of tumor, inflammatory, hormonal imbalance or some other pathology of the male reproductive system. Invasive diagnostic techniques may be used.
- DKD HELIOS Clinic Wiesbaden. Doctors in the diagnostic department use the latest devices for the timely detection of male diseases. The Diagnostic Department is equipped with the latest medical equipment, which ensures high accuracy of diagnostic procedures.
- Würzburg University Hospital. The patients are examined in the department of urology and pediatric urology. If necessary, not only adults, but also children of any age, may undergo diagnosis here. The clinic uses modern methods of diagnosis and treatment of the urogenital system pathologies, including robot-assisted operations.
Prevention of female cancer
Breast cancer and cervical cancer are very common among women. These pathologies are easily treated and possibly cured if they are detected at the early stages. Although there are no symptoms during the initial stage of the disease, a preventive oncological examination will help to identify the disease. It includes:
- General clinical tests
- Determination of oncomarkers in the blood
- Assessment of hormonal status
- Urine analisys
- Biopsy of the cervix
- Ultrasound of the mammary glands, pelvic organs
- Radiographic examination of mammary glands
- Bacterial smear from the urethra, vagina, cervix
- Biopsy of the cervix
A preventive oncological exam can be carried out in the following hospitals:
- PAN Clinic multidisciplinary private hospital. Diagnostics of female oncologic pathologies are conducted here in the Department of Gynecology, Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine. Thanks to the close multidisciplinary cooperation of the hospital staff, doctors provide patients with the best quality diagnostic and treatment services.
- DKD HELIOS Clinic Wiesbaden has a Gynecology Department that focuses on the diagnosis of breast pathologies and reproductive organs, including oncopathologies.
- Preventikum Multidisciplinary Hospital. Specialises in preventive diagnostics. For many years, doctors of the clinic have been engaged in early detection of various diseases and have already saved thousands of lives thanks to their careful examination of patients.
Prevention of male cancer
Preventive check-up for male oncologic pathologies aimed at the early detection of the malignant neoplasms which are located in the reproductive system, as well those types of cancer which affect men more often than women.
German hospitals follow a special plan for the male oncological check-up:
- A general analysis of blood and urine
- An extended blood test, including the determination of thyroid hormones, sex hormones, clotting factors, kidney function, mineral, fat and carbohydrate metabolism, blood gas composition, immune status, sex hormone levels
- Blood test for oncomarkers
- Analysis for inflammation markers
- Examination of feces for occult blood
- MRI of the whole body
- Ultrasound of the pelvic organs, abdominal cavity, thyroid gland
- Ultrasound of the prostate, kidneys, bladder, testes
Preventive check-up aimed at the detection of oncologic pathologies in men can be carried out in the following hospitals:
- DKD HELIOS Clinic Wiesbaden. Department of Diagnostics is equipped with the latest devices for a thorough instrumental test. Hence making it easier to detect male oncologic pathologies are successfully from the beginning.
- Preventikum Multidisciplinary Hospital has a Department of Preventive Diagnostics that carries out an in-depth examination of the male body.
- Max Grundig Clinic. Great attention is given to preventive medicine in this institution. The clinic has a Department of Oncology, which is equipped with the latest technology.
Extended check-up of the whole organism
German clinics offer such services as an extended checkup diagnosis for patients who want to be 100% sure of their well-being. It includes a large number of different analysis and instrumental studies. Nevertheless, the diagnosis doesn’t take long. The patient can be fully examined in three days.
Extended check-up includes:
- Clinical examination
- Clinical analysis of blood and urine
- Biochemical blood test to evaluate the function of the pancreas, kidney, liver
- Assessment of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism
- Blood test for electrolytes
- A blood test for viral hepatitis B and C
- Determination of hormones in the blood
- Blood test for oncomarkers
- Analysis for markers of cardiovascular pathology
- Assessment of bone metabolism
- Analysis of feces for elastase, antigens of Helicobacter pylori infection
- Evaluation of lung function (spirometry)
- Ultrasound of the thyroid gland, pelvic organs, abdominal cavity
- Dopplerography of the heart and blood vessels of the brain
- ECG with load and at rest
- MRI of the whole organism
- Angiography of the vessels of the neck
- Measurement of intraocular pressure
- Urological or gynecological examination
Hospitals where one can have such an extended preventive check-up are:
- German Diagnostic Hospital offers access to highly accurate diagnostic equipment. All the hospital departments are located nearby. This enables a thorough examination in no time.
- DKD HELIOS Clinic Wiesbaden is a modern healthcare centre which was opened back in 2002. Diagnostic process presupposes only the safest techniques in order to detect oncological process without any harm to the patient.
- Preventikum Mutidisciplinary Hospital ensures comfortable examination under a doctors’ supervision. It is conducted in a calm atmosphere. All the procedures take place in one location.
Arrangement of Treatment in Germany
If you wish to use the services of German doctors and undergo a checkup, you can choose the best hospital with the help of BookingHealth. Our healthcare advisors will help you without any costs.
In the future, you can also use BookingHealth to confirm and book your checkup diagnostics in Germany. It is very profitable for you, because:
- You save up to 70% of total costs on diagnostic and treatment services;
- We provide all arrangement issues (we will liase with the administration of the clinic, we will provide an interpreter, we will help in issuing a visa);
- You receive a full coverage health insurance, which protects you from unforeseen medical expenses up to 48 months after diagnosis or treatment;
- After undergoing the course of diagnostic procedures, you consult with a doctor within 3 months without additional payment.
To learn more about the services provided by BookingHealth, leave a request on the website. Our service manager will contact you soon after.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova