University Hospital Cologne
Department of General, Abdominal and Tumor Surgery (26155)
Specialized in: general, abdominal, tumor surgery
The Department of General, Abdominal and Tumor Surgery at the University Hospital Cologne under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Christiane Bruns deals with the surgical treatment of benign and malignant diseases. The focus is on surgery to treat cancer of the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, liver, gallbladder, pancreas and thyroid. The range of services also covers benign tumors, such as inguinal or incisional hernias, inflammatory processes in the intestine, thyroid and morbid obesity. Another priority is organ transplantation, for example, liver, pancreas and kidney transplantations.
The department is the national Center for Esophageal, Pancreas and Stomach Surgery offering medical services of the highest quality. With over 2,000 pancreatic cancer surgeries and 1,000 stomach cancer surgeries, the department has a long experience in this field. Within the framework of the Center for Integrative Oncology (CIO), the department is the certified Center for Pancreas and Intestine and has the nationally recognized experience and expertise for treating diseases of the entire digestive tract.
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of General, Abdominal and Tumor Surgery at the University Hospital Cologne ranks among the top German departments specializing in colon cancer treatment!
The patient care is provided by the team made up of nine department heads and 20 assistant doctors. In addition, the department has 80 inpatient beds. The department includes 3 operating rooms and is involved in the activities of the Outpatient Surgery Center.
The service range of the Department includes:
- Surgical treatment of pancreatitis
- Pancreatic cancer
- Surgical treatment of typhlitis
- Surgical treatment of colorectal cancer (colon/ rectum)
- Surgical treatment of inflammatory bowel disease
- Surgical treatment of gallbladder tumors
- Surgical treatment of cholelithiasis
- Surgical treatment of liver cancer
- Liver transplantation
- Surgical treatment of liver tumors
- Inguinal hernia laparoscopy
- Surgical treatment of inguinal hernia
- Surgical treatment of lung diseases
- Surgical treatment of stomach ulcer
- Surgical treatment of stomach cancer
- Kidney transplantation
- Surgical treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn’s disease/ ulcerative colitis)
- Thyroid diseases
- Surgical treatment of thyroid cancer
- Surgical treatment of thyroid diseases
- Esophagus, reflux
- Surgical treatment of esophageal cancer
- Hernia of an esophageal aperture card
- Cologne, Germany