University Hospital Cologne
location_on Cologne, Germany
Department of Endocrinology ( 26167)
Prof. Dr. med.
Jens C. Brüning
Specialized in: endocrinology
Curriculum vitae keyboard_arrow_down
- Since 03/2011, Director of the Center for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Preventive Medicine (ZEDP) at the University Hospital Cologne.
- Since 02/2011, Director of the Max Planck Institute for Neurological Research, Cologne (part-time).
- Since 01/2009 Fellow of the Max Planck Institute in the field of biological aging processes, Cologne.
- Since 11/2007, Coordinator of the Cologne Excellence Center in Cellular Stress Response in Age-Related Diseases (CECAD).
- 10/2006-9/2008 Managing Director of the Institute of Genetics, Cologne University.
- Since 04/2003, Professor at the Institute of Genetics (successor to Prof. Klaus Raevsky), Head of the Department of Mouse Genetics and Metabolism.
- 23.10.2002. Habilitation (Venia legendi in internal medicine), "New concepts of the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus by conditional mutagenesis of the insulin receptor gene in mice".
- Since 07/1997 Foundation of the scientific laboratory with the main focus: "Transgenic animals models of insulin resistance" University Hospital Cologne, Department of Internal Medicine II. Director: Prof., Dr. med. W. Krone.
- 02/1994 - 06/1997 Research work in the laboratory by Prof. C. Ronald Kahn, President of the Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA, research focus: "Molecular mechanisms of insulin action and insulin resistance."
- 02/1996 - 06/1997 Fellow of Mary K. Iacocca.
- 05/1993 PhD thesis at the Medical Faculty of the University Hospital Cologne, Department of Internal Medicine I, Director: Prof., Dr. Med. V. Diehl.
- 2009 Ernst Young Award of the Ernst Young Foundation for scientific research, Hamburg.
- 2008 Minkowski Prize of European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).
- 2007 Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the German Research Foundation.
- 2006 Scientific award "Lesser-Loewe-Wissenschaftspreis" of the Lesser Loewe Foundation, Mannheim.
- 2005 Wilhelm Vaillant Award of the Wilhelm Vaillant Foundation.
- 2005 Ferdinand Bertram Prize of the German Diabetes Society (DDG).
- 2001 Ernst and Bertha Scharrer Prize of the Department of Neuroendocrinology of the German Society of Endocrinology (DGE).
- 2000 Young Master's Turnier Prize of the German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM) Wiesbaden.
- 1996 Mary K. Iacocca Foundation Fellowship.
- 1995 Young Investigator Award of the American Society for Internal Medicine.
- 2002 - 2003 Chief Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine II, Cologne
- Since 12/2001. Recognition of the specialization of endocrinology.
- Since 02/2001 Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- Since 07/1997 Continuation of the internship in the university hospital, Department of Internal Medicine II. Director: Prof,, Dr. Med. W. Krone.
- 12/1993 Approbation.
- 06/1992 - 01/1994 Trainee Doctor and Fellow after internship in internal medicine, University Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine II, Prof., Dr. med. W. Krone.
- 04/1992 Third medical examination and partial approbation.
- 1985-1992 Study of medicine at the Medical Faculty of the University of Cologne.
The Department of Endocrinology under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Jens C. Brüning deals with the preventive medicine issues and treats all diseases in the field of endocrinology, diabetology and metabolic disorders. Thanks to close cooperation with the Max Planck Institute for Metabolic Research in Cologne, the department carries out both basic and clinical research in these priority medical areas.
The department is mainly focused on hormonal diseases and disorders, saccharine disease (diabetes mellitus) in adults and children, osteology, which regulates metabolism in the bones and comorbidities. In addition, the department maintains close cooperation with other departments within the framework of the Thyroid Center.
Another important focus of the Department of Endocrinology is the Obesity Center MAGNUS (Medical Center for Obesity, Health and Metabolism). The range of medical services of the center includes an outpatient, multimodal program OPTIFAST, various common methods of bariatric medicine (gastric banding, sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass surgery), as well as a self-help group. In addition, the department provides both individual and interdisciplinary consultations on obesity, during which one can discuss indications for surgical procedures to treat obesity.