University Hospital Cologne
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology (26171)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, hematology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University Hospital Cologne offers all the options of modern medicine for the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and liver. Of particular interest is the treatment of patients with pathologies of the esophagus, stomach, liver, biliary tract and pancreas. Cancers are treated in close cooperation with the Center for Integrated Oncology. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Tobias Goeser.
The department has an advanced Endoscopy Unit, which serves for various diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic procedures. In addition, the department's scope of tasks includes care for patients before and after liver transplantation.
The department's doctors are highly competent experts in the treatment of gastrointestinal and liver oncopathologies. After a thorough diagnostics, an individual treatment regimen is developed for each patient. The department conducts many clinical trials aimed at the development of new cancer treatments. Therefore, it offers modern multimodal therapies with high efficiency. For example, the department's research is focused on the study of promising CAR-T cell immunotherapy.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Acute and chronic liver diseases
- Chronic C and B hepatitis
- Benign and malignant gastrointestinal, liver tumors
- Vascular liver diseases (for example, Budd-Chiari syndrome)
- Complications after liver transplantation
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (for example, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Other pathologies
The service range of the department includes:
- Endoscopic diagnostics and therapy
- Colonoscopy for cancer screening
- Proctological examinations
- Intestinoscopy, double-balloon enteroscopy
- Puncture, drainage of pancreatic cysts and endosonography-guided treatment of retroperitoneal necrosis
- Diagnostic and interventional endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography
- Resection of the mucous membrane and endoscopic submucosal layer dissection for the endoscopic removal of neoplasms at the initial stages
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy for endoscopic interventional treatment of achalasia
- Diagnostic sonography
- Examination of the neck, abdominal cavity and pelvis
- Examination of the lymph nodes, abdominal and pleural vessels
- Sonographic control in the formation of intrahepatic portosystemic shunt
- Contrast-enhanced ultrasound
- Interventional radiology
- Ultrasound-guided liver biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided drainage
- Diagnostic sonography
- Other medical services
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home