University Hospital Cologne
Department of Vascular Surgery (26173)
Specialized in: vascular surgery
About the department
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Cologne offers the full range of diagnostics and therapeutic options for the patients with vascular diseases. The department has 28 beds for standard medical care, as well as an Intensive Care Unit with 48 beds for patients who require intensive care. A strong base of the department’s successful clinical practice is formed by the modern infrastructure, advanced medical equipment and outstanding professionalism of doctors. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Jan Brunkwall.
The department performs more than 1,200 surgical interventions annually. The department specializes in endovascular treatment of aneurysms of the thoracic and abdominal aorta. In general, the department treats more than 3,000 patients every year. The spectrum is also complemented by rehabilitation after vascular surgery.
The department pays due attention to intensive interdisciplinary cooperation, particularly with the Department of Radiology. Moreover, in collaboration with the colleagues from the Departments of Neurology and Nephrology, the department provides an optimal patient-oriented diagnostics and treatment of the highest international level.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of aortic dissection
- Diagnostics and treatment of aneurysms of the thoracic aorta, abdominal aorta and thoracoabdominal aneurysms
- Diagnostics and treatment of stroke
- Diagnostics and treatment of peripheral vascular occlusive disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of carotid stenosis
- Dialysis access formation for renal replacement therapy in kidney failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of renal artery stenosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of mesenteric artery ischemia
- Diagnostics and treatment of varicose veins (primary and secondary type)
- Diagnostics and treatment of vein thrombosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic venous insufficiency (trophic ulcers)
- Diagnostics and treatment of blood-clotting disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital vascular diseases
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Vascular malformations
- Diagnostics and treatment of other vascular diseases
The diagnostic and therapeutic options of the department include:
- CT angiography
- Digital subtraction angiography
- Color duplex sonography
- MR angiography
- Open surgery
- Dilatation in carotid stenosis
- Dilatation in abdominal aortic stenosis
- Bypass surgery (for example, in arterial obstruction in the pelvis and lower limbs, pelvic vein stenosis)
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Treatment of thoracoabdominal aneurysm with the implantation of endostent
- Balloon dilatation
- Stent implantation
- Treatment of varicose veins (laser therapy, radiofrequency therapy)
- Stent implantation in carotid artery stenosis
- Open surgery
- Other medical services
- 1976 3 months in the Department of Radiology in Växjö, 3 month of practice in General Medicine in Svalöv, 3 months in the Department of Oncology in Lund.
- 1979 - 1980 Internship program in Halmstad.
- 1980 - 1984 Assistant Physician in the Department of Surgery of Halmstad (district hospital).
- 1984 - 1985 Assistant Physician in the Department of Surgery, Malmö Hospital, Lund University.
- 1985 Surgeon.
- 1985 - 1986 Doctor in the Department of Surgery at the Malmö Hospital.
- 1986 - 1987 Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
- 1987 - 1992 Doctor in the Department of Surgery, University Hospital Malmö.
- 1993 Deputy Head of the Department of Surgery, University Hospital Malmö.
- 1994 Head of the Department of Surgery, University Hospital Malmö.
- 1990 Work in the ambulance in the field of Vascular Surgery.
- 1990 Lectures and seminars for medical students and laboratory assistants.
- 1991 Lectures and practical classes in advanced surgical training for doctors, both at local and national levels.
- 1991 Writing articles for journals on vascular surgery "Journal of Vascular Surgery", "European Journal of Vascular Surgery" and "European Journal of Surgery".
- 1992 Responsible for "Staff Meeting" program of the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Malmö.
- 1993 Responsible for the development of work schedule for doctors of the Department of Vascular Surgery.
- 1999 Professor of Surgery, focus on Vascular Surgery.
Awards and Honors
- 1994 ESVES Best Experimental Paper (Mangell P).
- 1995 Swedish Vascular Award for the Best Experimental Paper (Mangell P).
- 1998 Award for the Best Presentation of the Scandinavian Association for Vascular Surgery.
- 1998 ESVES Best Clinical Paper (Malina M).
- 1996 Who is who in the world.
- 1997 Who is Who in medicine.
- European Society for Vascular Surgery.
- International Union of Angiology.
- International Society for Endovascular Surgery.
- Swedish Society of Medicine.
- Swedish Surgical Society.
- Nordic Surgical Society.
- Société Internationale de Chirurgie (International Society of Surgery).
- European Society for Surgical Research.
- German Society of Vascular Surgery.
Department of Vascular Surgery.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home