University Hospital Cologne
location_on Cologne, Germany
Department of Vascular Surgery ( 26173)
Prof. Dr. med.
Specialized in: vascular surgery
Curriculum vitae keyboard_arrow_down Publications keyboard_arrow_down
- 1976 3 months in the Department of Radiology in Växjö, 3 month of practice in general medicine in Svalöv, 3 months in the Department of Oncology in Lund.
- 1979 - 1980 Internship program in Halmstad.
- 1980 - 1984 Assistant Doctor in the Department of Surgery of Halmstad (district hospital).
- 1984 - 1985 Assistant Doctor in the Department of Surgery, Malmö Hospital, Lund University.
- 1985 Surgeon.
- 1985 - 1986 Doctor of the Department of Surgery at the Malmö Hospital.
- 1986 - 1987 Visiting Research Fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
- 1987 - 1992 Doctor of the Department of Surgery, University Hospital Malmö.
- 1993 Deputy Head of the Department of Surgery, University Hospital Malmö.
- 1994 Head of the Department of Surgery, University Hospital Malmö.
- 1990 Work in the ambulance in the field of vascular surgery.
- 1990 Lectures and seminars for medical students and laboratory assistants.
- 1991 Lectures and practical classes in advanced surgical training for doctors, both at local and national levels.
- 1991 Writing articles for journals on vascular surgery "Journal of Vascular Surgery" and "European Journal of Vascular Surgery" and the European surgical journal "European Journal of Surgery".
- 1992 Responsible for "Staff Meeting" program of the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Malmö.
- 1993 Responsible for the development of work schedule for doctors of the Department of Vascular Surgery.
- 1999 Professor of Surgery, (Vascular Surgery).
Awards and honors
- 1994 ESVES best experimental paper (Mangell P).
- 1995 Swedish Vascular Award best experimental paper (Mangell P).
- 1998 Scandinavian Association for Vascular Surgery Award (best presentation).
- 1998 ESVES best clinical paper (Malina M).
- Who is who in the world 1996.
- Who is Who in medicine 1997.
- European Society for Vascular Surgery.
- International Union of Angiology.
- International Society for Endovascular Surgery.
- Swedish Society of Medicine.
- Swedish Surgical Society.
- Nordic Surgical Society.
- Société Internationale de Chirurgie (International Society of Surgery).
- European Society for Surgical Research.
- German Society of Vascular Surgery.
- Solitary iliac artery aneurysms. Brunkwall J, Bergentz SE. In: Yao JST, Pearce WH, eds. Aneurysms: new findings and treatments. East Norwalk: Appleton & Lange 1994, pp 45973.
- Longterm results of arterial reconstruction of the upper extremity. Brunkwall J, Bergentz SE. In: Yao JST, Pearce WH, eds. Advances in the treatment of ischemic extremities. East Norwalk: Appleton & Lange 1995, pp 21127.
- Tipps und Tricks bei "in situ bypass Chirurgie". Steinkoppf Verlag (in press).
The Department of Vascular Surgery at the University Hospital Cologne, headed by Univ.-Prof. Dr. Jan Brunkwall, offers all methods of diagnosis and treatment of vascular diseases. Being integrated into the new Heart Center, the department provides its patients comprehensive medical care. The department has 28 beds for the standard medical care, as well as the intensive care unit with 48 beds for the patients who need intermediate and intensive care in cooperation with other departments of the Heart Center.
The Department of Vascular Surgery performs over 1,200 surgical procedures every year. It specializes in the endovascular treatment of aortic aneurysm in the thorax and abdominal cavity. The department provides the first-line therapy, subsequent treatment and rehabilitation after vascular procedures to over 3,000 patients every year.
Particular attention is paid to the intensive interdisciplinary cooperation, in particular, with the Institute and Department of Radiology. In addition, together with the colleagues form the Department of Neurology, the Department of Vascular Surgery offers its patients an optimal and patient-oriented diagnosis and treatment.
The range of medical services of the Department of Vascular Surgery includes:
- Aortic dissection
- Aneurysm of the thoracic aorta and aneurysm of the entire aorta
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Obliterating endarteritis
- Bypass Center for dialysis patients
- Renal artery stenosis
- Mesenteric ischemia
- Varicose veins
- Secondary varicosis
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- Blood clotting disorders
- Congenital vascular diseases