University Hospital Cologne
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery (26175)
Specialized in: cardiothoracic surgery
The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Cologne under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Thorsten Wahlers is one of the leading German centers in the treatment of congenital and acquired heart defects. The Heart Center at the department contains 40 beds for the patients who receive standard medical care, as well as the specialized Intensive Care Unit with 24 beds for the patients requiring intensive care and artificial lung ventilation. There are also 24 beds for the patients receiving intermediate care. The Intensive Care Unit for the patients with heart transplant is also part of the Department (2 beds).
All together, the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery performs over 2,800 surgical procedures every year. 1,700 of them are performed with the use of the cardiopulmonary bypass. The department has 4 operating rooms for cardiothoracic surgeries and an additional operating room for pacemaker implantation. The operating rooms are equipped with the state-of-the-art devices, including the so-called hybrid operating room equipped with the multilayer X-ray optics for the complex cardiovascular operations. It is used together with the cardiologists to implant a heart valve with the use of a catheter. In addition, the department supervises its own research laboratory.
The range of medical services of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery includes:
- Surgery for the acquired heart defects with the cardiopulmonary bypass and without it (incl. coronary surgery, surgery for acute myocardial infraction and its complications, ventricular septal defect etc.)
- Surgery for the congenital heart defects with the cardiopulmonary bypass and without it (incl. surgery of newborns, children, adolescents and adults)
- Arrhythmia surgery (pacemakers, defibrillators, Maze surgery)
- Thoracic surgery (tumors of lungs, trachea and bronchi)
- Heart transplant
- Mechanical circulatory support and an artificial heart
- Round-the-clock medical care
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University Hospital Cologne ranks among the top German departments specializing in cardiac surgery!
- Cologne, Germany