University Hospital Cologne
Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology and Intensive Care Medicine (26179)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology, pulmonology and intensive care medicine
About the department
The Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology and Intensive Care Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne, headed by Univ.-Prof. Dr. Stephan Baldus, is part of the Heart Center Cologne. The department offers its patients first-class treatment involving the use of all innovations for treating coronary artery stenosis, arrhythmia and hypertension. Another essential focus lies on the catheter-based treatment of valvular heart disease. The department maintains close cooperation with the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery. The department treats patients with vascular and pulmonary diseases on both an inpatient and outpatient basis and in close cooperation with other departments of the hospital.
According to the Focus magazine rating of 2017, the Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology and Intensive Care Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne ranks among the top German departments specializing in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases!
Both scientific and clinical research projects accompany the activities of the department and the results of these projects are used to improve medical care for the patients of the department. Despite all the innovations, the patient remains a key object of the individual-oriented medicine.
The Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology and Intensive Care Medicine provides the entire range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for the treatment of cardiological and pulmonological diseases.
The range of diagnosis and treatment in cardiology includes the following focuses:
- Interventional coronary therapy
- Catheter therapy for mitral insufficiency (technique “MitraClip”)
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Hypertension Center
- Outpatient facility cardiac failure and transplantation
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Specialized outpatient facility for adults with congenital heart disease (CHD)
- Counseling for the patients with Marfan’s disease
- Interventional closure of the congenital atrial septal defect/ foramen ovale/ LA appendage
The main treatment focuses in pulmonology:
- Diagnosis and tumor-staging
- Treatment planning (in cooperation with the Department of Thoracic Surgery and the Center for Integrated Oncology Cologne)
- Outpatient and inpatient radiation therapy (in cooperation with the Department of Radiation Therapy)
- Stenosis of the respiratory tracts, recanalization (laser, APC), stenting
- Bronchial asthma
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pulmonary emphysema
- Long-term oxygen therapy, non-invasive ventilation
Inflammatory lung diseases
- Pneumonias, atypical pneumonias accompanied by immunosupression and HIV infections, pleurisy
- Tuberculosis, atypical mycobacterioses
- Preparation and postoperative monitoring after the lung transplant
- Interstitial lung diseases, pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis
- Sleep apnea syndrome
- Pulmonary embolism, pneumothorax
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Foreign body aspiration, pulmonary hemorrhages, shock lung (ARDS)
Prof. Dr. med. Stephan Baldus received his medical education in Ulm and Hamburg. From 1999 to 2001 worked in the Biology Center of Free Radicals at the University of Alabama in Birmingham, Alabama, USA. Dr. researched the bases of vascular inflammatory processes here. In 2008, he was awarded the Albert Frenkel Prize by the German Society of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Research. In 2010, Prof. Baldus was awarded the Paul Schölmerich Prize in the field of internal medicine for his study of the role of inflammatory processes in causing atrial fibrillation. Since 2009 Prof. Dr. Stephan Baldus has been working as a leading senior physician and deputy head of the department of the University Heart Center in Hamburg. He took an active part in the development of this Heart Center, which was primarily founded in 2008. The leading specialists in cardiology, cardiac surgery and vascular surgery are working here, as well as in Cologne, together.
Department of Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology and Intensive Care Medicine.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home