University Hospital Cologne
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (26181)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne provides a comprehensive diagnostics and effective treatment of the entire spectrum of childhood diseases. Thanks to the productive research activities, the department has at its disposal all the innovative treatments. Clinical practice is based on an individual approach to each case. Also, the participation of parents and their support play an important role in the success of treatment. Each focus of pediatric and adolescent medicine is represented by a group of experienced specialized doctors, which contributes to the achievement of the best therapeutic result. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Jörg Dötsch.
The department provides both outpatient and inpatient treatment, as well as diagnostic programs. The therapeutic options also cover special intensive care for children. In addition to the treatment of acute diseases, the department’s doctors have excellent qualifications in the treatment of very small premature babies and children with chronic diseases.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of obesity in children and adolescents
- Diagnostics and treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes, MODY diabetes and neonatal diabetes mellitus (treatment of children and adolescents aged 0 to 21 years)
- Diagnostics and treatment of endocrine diseases, metabolic disorders
- Growth disorders
- Short stature and tall stature
- Growth hormone therapy (including growth hormone deficiency, Ullrich-Turner syndrome)
- Quantitative assessment of muscle strength during growth hormone therapy
- Thyroid diseases
- Congenital thyroid hypofunction
- Acquired thyroid hypofunction (for example, due to thyroiditis)
- Hyperthyroidism (for example, Graves disease)
- Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
- Disorders of puberty
- Premature puberty
- Delayed puberty
- Adrenal diseases
- Adrenogenital syndrome
- Adrenal hypo- and hyperfunction
- Calcium and phosphate metabolic disorders
- Hypoparathyroidism, hyperparathyroidism
- Developmental disorders, including celiac disease
- Metabolic disorders
- Growth disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of bone diseases (osteology)
- Osteogenesis imperfecta
- Fibrous dysplasia
- Phosphate diabetes
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare skeletal bone diseases
- Skeletal dysplasia
- Metabolic disorders of the skeleton
- Congenital bone stability disorders
- Secondary osteoporosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, including care before and after liver transplantation
- Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases
- Impaired development of the gastrointestinal tract
- Chronic diarrhea
- Nutrition disorders (nutrition through a probe)
- Short bowel syndrome and parenteral nutrition
- Celiac disease and other malabsorption syndromes
- Unclear abdominal pain, vomiting and constipation
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Liver diseases of unknown origin
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Reactive and paraplegic arthritis (for example, Lyme disease)
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (childhood rheumatism)
- Collagenoses (for example, systemic lupus erythematosus)
- Vasculitides (for example, Kawasaki syndrome)
- Periodic fever syndromes (for example, familial Mediterranean fever)
- Non-rheumatic arthritis and other disorders of the musculoskeletal system
- Pediatric intensive care
- Care for high-risk premature babies and newborns with life-threatening congenital and acquired diseases (neonatology) within the framework of the Level I Perinatal Center
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases, including preparation and follow-up care after kidney transplantation, all types of renal replacement therapy (peritoneal dialysis and various hemodialysis procedures, apheresis, plasmapheresis, lipid apheresis, immunoadsorption)
- Malformations of the kidneys and urinary tract with possible associated functional disorders (for example, vesicoureteral reflux)
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Chronic kidney failure
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Nephrotic syndrome and Alport syndrome
- Rare kidney diseases in childhood
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the nervous system in children
- Infantile cerebral palsy
- Developmental disorders (vision, hearing, speech, motor skills, intelligence)
- Motor disorders and deep brain stimulation in childhood and adolescence
- Hydrocephalus and spina bifida
- Headaches and migraines
- Neuromuscular diseases (specialized center)
- Tic disorders/Tourette syndrome
- Metabolic disorders
- Genetic epilepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of pulmonary diseases
- Lung malformations
- Severe bronchial asthma
- Primary ciliary dyskinesia
- Cystic fibrosis
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergies
- Atopic eczema, including severe forms
- Food allergies
- Drug allergy
- Insect venom allergy
- Allergic rhinoconjunctivitis
- Other medical services
- 1986 - 1989 Study of Medicine, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
- 1989 - 1990 Study of Medicine, University College Dublin, Ireland.
- 1993 - 1998 Research Assistant in the Department of Pediatrics at the University Hospital Giessen.
- 1998 - 2000 Fellow of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Since 2000 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 2003 - 2010 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- Since 2006 Professor W2 for Pediatric with a focus on Pediatric Nephrology.
- Since 2010 Head of the Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Cologne.
- Pediatric endocrinology and diabetology.
- Pediatric nephrology.
Membership in Professional Societies
- German Society of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.
- German Society of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology (DGKED).
- German Nutrition Society (DGE).
- German Society of Pediatric Nephrology.
- Society of Neonatology and Pediatric Intensive Care Medicine.
- European Society of Pediatric Clinical Research.
- 1986 - 1996 Scholarship, German Academic Scholarship Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes).
- 1999 Jürgen Bierich Award of the Society of Pediatric Endocrinology (APE) DGE.
- 2000 Young Investigator Award of the European Society of Pediatric Endocrinology (ESPE): "For substantial achievements in pediatric endocrinology".
- Young Investigator Award of the German Society of Hypertension. Subject: "Evidence for change of 11-Beta-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase activities in infancy and childhood", Heidelberg.
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home