University Hospital Cologne
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Infectiology, Clinical Immunology, Hemostasis, Intensive Care (26185)
Specialized in: oncology, hematology, clinical infectology, clinical immunology, hemostasis, intensive care
About the department
The Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Infectiology, Clinical Immunology, Hemostasis, Intensive Care at the University Hospital Cologne under the direction of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Michael Hallek deals with the treatment of various internal diseases.
The department specializes in the following medical fields:
- Clinical infectology
- Clinical immunology
- Intensive care
The department combines both clinical and research activities within these medical fields. Thus, this fact enables the provision of treatment according to the latest scientific findings and promotion of its international recognition.
The department is the Comprehensive Treatment Center for the patients suffering from acute myeloid leukemia (AML), acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) and myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). However, the department offers the entire spectrum of services ranging from high quality diagnosis up to all scientifically proven innovative therapies, as well as up to the competent and thorough palliative treatment. These achievements made the department one of the largest centers of this kind.
In addition to the treatment of malignant blood diseases (chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)), myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) and acute leukemias (AML and ALL), the specialization field of the department focuses on the treatment of the following diseases:
- Lymphatic tissue diseases, such as Hodgkin’s and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Treatment within the clinical study, stem cell transplantation (SCT)
- Oncological diseases
- HIV, immunology
- Clotting disorders
- Internal intensive care
- 1978 - 1985 Study of medicine at the Universities of Regensburg, Munich and Paris.
- 1985 - 1990 Assistant Physician, Pharmacology and Internal Medicine, TU and University Hospital of Munich (Prof. Szinicz, Prof. Blömer, Prof. Buchborn).
- 1990 - 1992 Fellow, Dana–Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA (Prof. J. Griffin).
- 1992 - 1995 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine, Innenstadt Campus, University Hospital of Munich, (Head: Prof. Dr.Dr. h.c. P.C. Scriba).
- 1994 (also currently), Head of the working group on gene therapy, the Gene Center of the University Hospital of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. E.-L. Winnacker).
- 1995 - 1998 Chief Physician of the Section of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Innnenstadt Campus, University Hospital of Munich.
- 1998 - 2003 Chief Physician, Department of Internal Medicine III, Campus Grosshadern, University Hospital of Munich (Head: Prof. Dr. W. Hiddemann), Chief Physician of the Hematology and Oncology Polyclinic, Development and Restructuring (1998-1999).
- August 1999 Professor C3, Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Munich.
- March 2003 Professor C4, Internal Medicine, University Hospital Cologne (successor of Prof. Diehl).
- Since November 2003, Head of the Department of Internal Medicine I (hematology, oncology, infectiology, clinical immunology and intensive care medicine), University Hospital Cologne.
Main academic positions
- 1996 (also currently) Founder and Head of the German Research Group for CLL.
- 2002 (also currently) Chairman of the German Gene Therapy Society.
- 2004 (also currently) Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the German Cancer Organization (Deutschen Krebshilfe), Dr. Mildred-Scheel-Stiftun, experimental studies.
Main awards and scholarships
- 1978 - 1985 Scholarship of the Bavarian organization for assistance to gifted persons "Bayerischen Begabtenförderungsgesetz".
- 1980 - 1985 Cusanuswerks Scholarship.
- 1982 - 1983 Scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service for training in France.
- 1990 - 1992 Educational scholarship of the German Research Society.
- 1999 Artur Pappenheim Award of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology.
- 2000 Member of the Scientific Advisory Council (Core Group) of the International Working Group on CLL (IWCLL).
Department of Oncology, Hematology, Clinical Infectiology, Clinical Immunology, Hemostasis, Intensive Care.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home