University Hospital Cologne
Department of Nephrology, Rheumatology, Diabetology and General Internal Medicine (26189)
Specialized in: nephrology, rheumatology, diabetology, general visceral medicine
About the department
The Department of Nephrology, Rheumatology, Diabetology and General Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Benzing specializes in the treatment of kidney diseases, rheumatic systemic diseases and hypertension. In addition, in close cooperation with the Center for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Preventive Medicine, the department provides medical care to the patients suffering from diabetes and endocrine diseases.
To provide a comprehensive medical care, a highly professional team renders the entire spectrum of modern diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in the field of rheumatology, nephrology and transplantation medicine, including all types of dialysis and apheresis. The motivated team of doctors and medical personnel offers each patient an individually planned program meeting all their needs and wishes.
In the field of dialysis treatment, the department performs all types of kidney transplantation and provides dialysis and plasma exchange to thousands of patients every year. The treatment is provided in accordance with the current recommendations and with the use of all anticoagulant possibilities (heparin, fragmin, argatroban and citrate).
Thanks to the patient-oriented, comprehensive medical care, specialization in nephrology and general internal medicine, as well as the world-renowned research work, the department holds a leading position among German nephrological clinics. In close cooperation with the colleagues form private practices in Cologne, the multidisciplinary team of the department is making every effort to continuously improve both prevention and treatment options.
The inpatient treatment focuses include:
- Department 15.2 (inpatient)
- Bypass Surgery Center
- Transplantation Center
- Emergency Department
The priority areas of the outpatient treatment include:
- Diagnosis and treatment of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD)
- Outpatient Department of Rheumatology
- Kidney diseases and hypertension
- Transplant Outpatient Department
- Private Outpatient Facility
- Outpatient Department of Bypass Surgery
- Rare and genetic kidney diseases
- CAPD Unit and counseling on home dialysis
- 1985 Matriculation exam, Laufenburg Prize.
- 1987 - 1993 Faculty of Medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg; thesis defense under the direction of Prof. Dr. R. Busse. Subject: "Investigation on the regulation of the formation of endothelial physiologically active substances".
- 1993 - 1996 One year of compulsory practice, medical practice and clinical training led by Prof. Dr. P. Schollmeyer, University of Freiburg, Nephrology and General Medicine.
- 1996 - 1998 Fellow at the Institute of Cardiovascular Physiology, Prof. Dr. R. Busse, JWG University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1998 - 2000 Fellow, Nephrology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston (Director: Prof. Dr. Vikas Sukhatme, PI: Prof. Dr. G. Walz). DFG Research Fellowship.
- 2000 Visiting Scientist (EMBO) under the direction of Prof. Dr. L. Naldini, Turin, Italy: "Lentiviral Gene Transfer".
- 2000 - 2002 Group Leader and Assistant Physician with Prof. Dr. G. Walz, Department of Internal Medicine IV, Nephrology and General Medicine, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 2002 - 2003 Assistant Professor in Experimental Medicine for "Regulation of RGS proteins".
- 2002 - 2003 Specialist in Nephrology, Hypertensiology (German Hypertension League); Venia Legendi for Internal Medicine.
- 2003 - 2006 Chief Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine IV, nephrology, hypertensiology and general medicine, University Hospital Freiburg. Medical Director: Prof. Dr. G. Walz. Heisenberg Fellowship of German Research Foundation DFG.
- 2006 - 2007 Professor of Medicine (W3), Deputy Medical Director of the Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Freiburg. Director of the Center for Biosystem Analysis (ZBSA) Freiburg.
- Since 2007 Professor of Medicine (W3), Chief Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Cologne.
Main honors and awards
- 2004 Dr. Adalbert Buding Research Prize of the German Hypertension League.
- 2005 Honorary title "Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology " for outstanding merits in nephrological research by the American Society of Nephrology.
- 2005 Franz Volhard Prize of the Society of Nephrology (highest Research Award of the German-speaking Nephrology).
- 2006 Young Investigator Award of the American Association of Nephrology.
- 2008 Member of the Ludwig Heilmeyer Society.
- 2008 Ernst Jung Award (Medicine).
- 2008 Award for Teaching in Human Medicine, University of Cologne.
- 2008 Award of the German Society of Nephrology.
- 2009 Award of the German Society of Nephrology.
- 2010 Member of the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina.
Department of Nephrology, Rheumatology, Diabetology and General Internal Medicine.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home