University Hospital Cologne
Department of Adult and Pediatric Nephrology, Rheumatology, Diabetology, General Internal Medicine (26189)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric nephrology, rheumatology, diabetology, general internal medicine
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Nephrology, Rheumatology, Diabetology and General Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne offers the full range of services in these fields. All diagnostic and therapeutic measures conducted in the department comply with the very latest standards of medicine. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Benzing.
The primary focus of the department’s clinical activities is the treatment of patients with chronic and acute kidney diseases, hypertension. In addition, specialization covers the treatment of rheumatic diseases, diabetes mellitus and general internal diseases. Each patient benefits from an individual approach, which contributes to the achievement of the best treatment results.
The department’s clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of hypertension
- Patient care before and after kidney transplantation, combined kidney and pancreas transplantation, including transplantation in case of blood group incompatibility in adults and children
- Dialysis access formation
- All types of modern renal replacement therapy
- Plasma exchange
- Diagnostics and treatment of rare and hereditary kidney diseases in adults and children (within the framework of a specialized center)
- Amyloidosis, including light chain amyloidosis
- Hereditary kidney cancers
- Fabry disease
- Disorders of fluid and electrolyte balance
- Thrombotic microangiopathies
- Polycystic kidney disease
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Acute and chronic inflammatory joint diseases (for example, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, gout)
- Bechterew's disease, spondylarthritis
- Collagenoses (systemic autoimmune diseases, for example, systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic scleroderma, myositis, Sjogren's syndrome)
- Vasculitides (inflammatory vascular lesions, for example, temporal arteritis, Wegener's disease, Behcet's disease, microscopic polyangiitis, rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diabetes mellitus
- Other medical services
- 1987 - 1993 Faculty of Medicine, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg; thesis defense on the subject: "Investigation on the regulation of the formation of endothelial physiologically active substances" (under the direction of Prof. Dr. R. Busse).
- 1993 - 1996 One-year compulsory practice, internship and clinical training led by Prof. Dr. P. Schollmeyer, University Hospital Freiburg, Nephrology and Internal Medicine.
- 1996 - 1998 Fellow at the Institute of Cardiovascular Physiology (Prof. Dr. R. Busse), University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1998 - 2000 Fellow, Nephrology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston (Director: Prof. Dr. Vikas Sukhatme). Fellowship of the German Research Foundation.
- 2000 Visiting Scientist (EMBO) under the direction of Prof. Dr. L. Naldini, Turin, Italy: "Lentiviral Gene Transfer".
- 2000 - 2002 Group Leader and Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine IV, Nephrology and Internal Medicine, University Hospital Freiburg.
- 2002 - 2003 Assistant Professorship in Experimental Medicine for "Regulation of RGS proteins".
- 2002 - 2003 Board certification in Internal Medicine with a focus on Nephrology and Hypertensiology (German Hypertension League); Venia Legendi for Internal Medicine.
- 2003 - 2006 Senior Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine IV, Nephrology, Hypertensiology and General Medicine, University Hospital Freiburg (Heisenberg Fellowship of German Research Foundation).
- 2006 - 2007 Professor of Medicine (W3), Deputy Head of the Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Freiburg. Director of the Center for Biosystem Analysis (ZBSA) Freiburg.
- Since 2007 Professor of Medicine (W3), Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Nephrology, Rheumatology, Diabetology, General Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Cologne.
Main Honors and Awards
- 2004 Dr. Adalbert Buding Research Prize of the German Hypertension League.
- 2005 Honorary Title "Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology " for outstanding merits in nephrological research by the American Society of Nephrology.
- 2005 Franz Volhard Prize of the Society of Nephrology (highest Research Award of the German-speaking Nephrology).
- 2006 Young Investigator Award of the American Association of Nephrology.
- 2008 Member of the Ludwig Heilmeyer Society.
- 2008 Ernst Jung Award (Medicine).
- 2008 Award for Teaching in Human Medicine, University of Cologne.
- 2008 Award of the German Society of Nephrology.
- 2009 Award of the German Society of Nephrology.
- 2010 Member of the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina.
Department of Adult and Pediatric Nephrology, Rheumatology, Diabetology, General Internal Medicine.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home