University Hospital Cologne
Department of Neurology (26191)
Specialized in: neurology
About the department
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Cologne ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the treatment of Parkinson's disease!
The department offers the full range of medical services for the diagnostics and conservative treatment of diseases of the nervous system. The department’s key clinical focuses include the treatment of stroke (within the framework of the modern Stroke Unit), movement disorders, neuroimmunological disorders and brain tumors. More than 5,000 patients annually trust their health to the experienced experts of the department. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Gereon Fink.
As a maximum care clinic, the department has an in-house Neurological Intensive Care Unit for the treatment of critically ill patients with neurological pathologies. This Neurological Intensive Care Unit is one of the largest in Germany, and also provides the full range of medical procedures in the area of its specialization, including interdisciplinary care for the patients with neurological pathology.
Special attention should be given to the high-tech Stroke Unit, which works on the basis of the department. It serves patients who do not require artificial lung ventilation after a stroke (artificial lung ventilation is provided in the Neurological Intensive Care Unit). The doctors of the Stroke Unit have extensive experience in diagnosing and treating all types of acute neurovascular diseases, including transient ischemic attack, ischemic cerebral stroke, intracerebral hemorrhage, subarachnoid hemorrhage, subdural hematomas, etc.
Since 2007, the department has been conducting early neurological rehabilitation (phase B). To this end, the department has a special section with 16 beds.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of stroke, including emergency medical care and early rehabilitation
- Diagnostics and treatment of cerebrovascular diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of motor disorders (focus on Parkinson's disease)
- Deep brain stimulation
- Preparation and postoperative care after stereotactic surgery
- Diagnostics and treatment of multiple sclerosis and rare neuroimmunological diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of myasthenia
- Symptomatic therapy
- Immunosuppressive therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of various forms of dementia
- Diagnostics and treatment of epilepsy, including medication-resistant forms of pathology
- Diagnostics and treatment of narcolepsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of polyneuropathies, myopathies and diseases affecting motor neurons
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Congenital and acquired muscular diseases (myopathy, muscular dystrophy, myositis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of brain tumors (neuro-oncology)
- Neurological intensive care
- Emergency medical care for critically ill patients
- Diagnostic options
- Duplex and Doppler scanning
- Neurophysiological studies
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 1982 - 1989 Study of Medicine in Cologne (one semester in Manchester).
- 1989 - 1992 and 1993 - 1995 Assistant Physician, Max Planck Institute for Neurological Research and Department of Neurology, University Hospital Cologne (Prof. Heiss).
- 1992 - 1993 Clinical Research Fellow, Department of Neurology and MRC Cyclotron Unit, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK (Prof. Frackowiak).
- 1995 - 1997 Clinical Research Fellow, Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology, Queen Square, London (Prof. Dolan).
- 1997 - 2000 Assistant Physician, Neurology, University Hospital Duesseldorf (Prof. Freund).
- 1998 - 2005 Working Group on Cognitive Neurology, Institute of Medicine, Juelich Research Center.
- 2001 - 2004 Chief Physician of the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Aachen (Prof. Noth).
- October 2003, Professor C3, Cognitive Neurology, RWTH Aachen.
- 2004 - 2006 Professor C4, Neurology and Cognitive Neurology, RWTH Aachen, as well as Deputy Head of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Aachen.
- Since 2005 Head of the Department of Cognitive Neurology Research, Institute of Neurology and Medicine (INM3), Juelich Research Center.
- Since 2006 Professor W3, Neurology, University Hospital Cologne, Head of the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Cologne.
Main Academic Positions
- 2002 - 2006 Representative of the KFO-112 Clinical Research Group, financing by DFG, "Attention disorders and their therapeutic treatment".
- 2002 - 2008 Neurological Research Coordinator at the Brain Imaging Center West, Center of Competence of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research of Germany (BMBF) for functional imaging diagnostics in clinically oriented areas of neurology.
- Since 2003 Member of the Scientific and Technical Council at the Juelich Research Center.
- 2008 - 2011 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the University of Cologne.
- Since 2010 Representative of the KFO-219 Clinical Research Group, financing by DFG, "Basal ganglia – cerebral cortex: mechanisms of pathological interaction and therapeutic modulation".
- 2011 - 2012 President of the German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology.
- 2011 - 2013 First Vice-Rector of the University of Cologne and Vice-Rector for young researchers.
- Since 2014 Board Member of the German Society of Neurology (DGN, 3rd Chairman).
- Since 2015 Deputy Dean for Structuring and Planning, Faculty of Medicine of the University of Cologne.
Main Awards and Scholarships
- 1983 - 1989 Scholarship of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation.
- 1992 - 1993 Otto Kahn Scholarship of the Max Plank Research Society, Germany.
- 1995 - 1997 European Traveller Fellowship of Wellcome Trust, UK.
- 2003 NRW Research Prize, North Rhine-Westphalia Research Center.
- 2004 Pette Award of the German Society of Neurology.
- 2008 Hospital – Innovations – Prize 2008.
- 2009 Donnersmarck Foundation Research Scholarship.
- 2011 Award for Advanced Training, German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology and Functional Imaging (DGKN).
- 2015 Max Delbruck Prize, University of Cologne.
Department of Neurology.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home