University Hospital Cologne
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology (26193)
Specialized in: orthopedics, traumatology
About the department
The Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology at the University Hospital Cologne was created as a result of the merger of the Department of Orthopedics and the Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery. While orthopedics mainly uses conventional methods of treating congenital and wear-related diseases, trauma surgery deals with acute, usually accidental injuries and their consequences.
The department has over 100 inpatient beds. In addition, the department has 4 operating rooms and is involved in the activities of the Outpatient Surgery Center.
The team of the department consists of 11 heads of departments and 21 assistants. There are also 4 units with beds and two outpatient facilities. To provide top quality comprehensive treatment, the department maintains intensive cooperation with other departments and institutes of the hospital.
The Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology specializes in both surgical and conservative methods of restoring and preserving the damaged organs and segments of the locomotor system.
The service range of the department includes:
- Osteoarthritis/degenerative diseases
- Intraoperative navigation
- Pediatric diseases
- Rheumatoid orthopedics
- Sports orthopedics
- Tumor orthopedics
Within the framework of the Joint Replacement Center, the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology performs joint replacement surgeries, incl. complex surgeries to replace the implant and infected prostheses. According to the recommendations of the Professional Orthopedic Society (DGOOC), the department is constantly striving to improve the patients' health safety and the health care quality during either hip or knee joint replacement surgery. The outstanding achievements and a large number of performed surgical procedures contributed to the fact that the Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology was first in Cologne to be certified as the center with the highest level of service in hip and knee replacement surgeries.
- 1978 - 1984 Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Faculty of Medicine.
- 1978 - 1980 Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Faculty of Philosophy.
- 1984 Approbation.
- 1985 Tannenwald Bad Schwalbach Clinic, Department of Neurology, Psychiatry and Psychotherapy (Chief Physician: Dr. H. Stegemann).
- 1985 - 1986 Department of Psychiatry at the Waldkrankenhaus Köppern Clinic (Head: Prof. Dr. E. M. Biniek).
- 1986 - 1988 Trauma Clinic BG, Frankfurt, Department of Trauma Surgery (Chief Physician: Prof. Dr. H. Contzen) and Department of Neurosurgery (Chief Physician: Prof. Dr. G. Meinig).
- 1988 - 1991 Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Giessen (Head: Prof. Dr. K. Roosen).
- 1991 Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Mainz (Head: Prof, Dr. J. Heine).
- 1993 Chief Physician.
- 1997 Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Clinic.
- Since 01.01.2002 Head of the Department and Polyclinic of Orthopedics and Traumatology, University Hospital Cologne.
- 1984 Thesis defense, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Medicine. Subject: "Requirements and real results of inpatient group psychotherapy. A compromise illustrated by the model of the Department of Psychiatry at the Hospital Düsseldorf. Grade: "magna cum laude".
- 1992 - 1993 Scientific internship at the University of Paris, ENSAM - Biomechanics Laboratory (Head: Prof. Dr. F. Lavaste).
- 1995 Thesis defense, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Medicine. Subject: "Stability of the ventral implanted trunk of the spine – biomechanical, anatomo-morphological and clinical research".
- 1995 DEGUM-ABSTRACT AWARD, jointly with K.. Küllmer and J.D. Rompe, work: "The first experience of intraoperative sonography in intervertebral disc hernias."
- 2000 Award of the Federal Working Group on Rheumatology and the Cooperative Rheumatology Center Rhineland-Palatinate, jointly with A. Eckardt und S. Fürderer, work: "Cervical or otsipito-cervical synthesis in rheumatic atlantoaxial instability."
- German Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology.
- International Surgical Society for Orthopedics and Traumatology (Societé Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie (SICOT)).
- European Spine Society.
- Society for Spine Surgery.
- Federal Working Group on Rheumatology and Cooperative Rheumatology Center Rhineland-Palatinate.
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology.
University Hospital Cologne:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical consultant will contact you and answer all your questions in the near future.
you will receive a reply shortly Home