University Hospital Cologne
Department of Neurosurgery (26197)
Specialized in: neurosurgery
The Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Cologne is the center of excellence in research and patient care. The department consists of two sections: the Section of General Neurosurgery specializing in the treatment of diseases of the nervous system and the Section of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. Roland Goldbrunner.
The task of the Section of General Neurosurgery is surgical treatment of diseases of the brain, spine, spinal cord and nerves. There is offered a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in accordance with the latest advancements in research and technology. However, particular attention is paid to the development of an individual treatment program for each patient. Numerous research projects have contributed to high quality diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation.
The department specializes in the treatment of the following diseases:
- All types of brain tumors
- Vascular diseases of the central nervous system
- Diseases of the pituitary gland (pituitary)
- Congenital and acquired diseases of the spine
- Surgical diseases of the peripheral nervous system (for example, carpal tunnel syndrome)
The Section of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery offers a wide range of services in the fields of stereotaxy and functional neurosurgery. The goal of stereotactic surgery is not only the diagnosis of deep foci of the diseases, but also the treatment of motor disorders and certain forms of chronic pain (functional stereotaxy). Functional neurosurgery deals with the surgical treatment of the peripheral nervous system. In addition, here one can treat spasticity and pain. To this end, doctors can implant stimulation systems into the spinal cord or peripheral nerves.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Treatment of benign and malignant tumors
- Radiation therapy, in which the radiation source is embedded into the cancerous tumor
- Radiosurgical procedures, for example, with the use of LINAC linear accelerator and CyberKnife radiosurgery system
- Deep brain stimulation
- Spinal cord stimulation
- CT-guided nerve root block
- Cologne, Germany