Munich is one of the major German cities, the capital of Bavaria. This city is famous not only for its brewing traditions but also for major authoritative medical institutions. University hospitals which head the list of the largest university hospitals in Europe, and specialized private clinics are located here. We present to your attention the TOP 5 hospitals and medical centers in Munich.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
According to the Focus magazine, University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranks the leading positions among the TOP German medical institutions annually. This is one of the largest university hospitals in Europe.
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich is an institution which provides the maximum range of medical care: more than 9,000 employees work in its 47 departments, institutions, and specialized centers. The main buildings are located in the campuses of Grosshadern and Innenstadt.
Campus Innenstadt is located in the center of Munich. In addition to practical medicine, there are training centers, such as Institute of Physiology and Institute of Human Anatomy, here. Campus Grosshadern is the largest medical complex in Munich. Its Department of internal, abdominal, and transplant surgery leads in the number of successful transplantations of liver, pancreas, kidney, heart, and lungs.
Other fields of the clinical specialization include:
- Cardiac surgery. Specialists of the Department of Cardiac Surgery annually carry out more than 2500 interventions on the heart and vessels, including coronary artery bypass grafting without connection of a patient to the heart-lung machine, minimally invasive treatment of heart valve stenosis and failure, implantation of the mechanical circulatory support systems.
- Mammology. According to the Focus magazine, Mammology Center tops the list of the best medical institutions specializing in the treatment of breast cancer.
- Neurology. In addition to general neurological pathology, Department of Neurology specializes in the treatment of multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.
- Pediatric epileptology. Department of Pediatric Epileptology offers inpatient examination of children with all types of epilepsy, and also prepares patients for the surgical treatment.
- Oncology. Interdisciplinary Oncology Center Munich is certified according to the strict standards of DIN EN ISO and the German Cancer Society. Patients of all ages receive treatment here.
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich was founded more than 100 years ago, namely in 1834. Nowadays, it includes 33 departments and 20 interdisciplinary medical centers which provide comprehensive medical care.
According to prestigious Focus magazine, University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich has high treatment success rates and it annually ranks among the TOP hospitals. It also has a DIN EN ISO 9001:2008 certificate which confirms the quality of diagnostic and therapeutic services at the local and international levels. In 2017, the hospital successfully passed the TÜV Rheinland certification.
Fields of specialization of the hospital include the following destinations:
- Neurosurgery. Doctors of Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery are experts in the treatment of oncological diseases of the brain (primary tumors and metastases of other tumors). The department is certified as Neuro-Oncology Center of the Technical University of Munich.
- Endovascular and vascular surgery. Since 2012, a hybrid operating room is available in the department. Thanks to its technical capabilities, doctors clearly visualize vessels during the surgery. Different operations on the aorta, carotid arteries, coronary vessels, peripheral arteries and veins can be performed here.
- Ophthalmology. Department of Ophthalmology provides emergency care for all types of eye injuries, performs conservative and surgical treatment in children and adults. Also, the Clinical Research Center is available here, its staff develops new treatment methods for age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinal angiopathy.
- Plastic surgery. The department carries out all types of aesthetic interventions, such as correction of the size and shape of mammary glands, skin tightening, and face surgery. Also, complex operations on the hand are carried out here, for example, finger replantation, restoration of damaged nerve endings, treatment of Dupuytren's contracture.
- Nephrology. Department of Nephrology specializes in treatment of inflammatory, autoimmune, and rheumatic kidney diseases. It is the scientific and practical center of the European Society of Kidney Transplantation.
Orthopedic Center Munich East
The team of doctors at Orthopedic Center Munich East has dedicated their professional activities to treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system and restoration of its function after injuries. Six surgeons work here, each of them specializes in particular methods of conservative and surgical treatment.
Prof. Dr. med. Peter Diehl, who heads Department of Orthopedics at the center, is also the official doctor of the German national hockey team. Prof. Diehl is an expert in the field of conservative and minimally invasive surgical treatment of knee and elbow joints. In order to fully restore the function of damaged joint, the PRP-therapy, K-Taping, shockwave therapy, and stem cell therapy are used in the department.
Dr. med. Samer Ismail, Head of the Department of Spinal Surgery, has a profile certificate of Spinal Neurosurgeon of the German Society of Neurosurgery. Only 25 German specialists have such certificate today. The department carries out nucleoplasty, intervertebral disc replacement, rigid and dynamic stabilization of the spine, as well as combined surgical interventions in patients with scoliosis.
Rinecker Proton Cancer Therapy Center
Rinecker Proton Cancer Therapy Center was founded in 2009 and became the first integrated proton irradiation center in Europe. Doctors of the center perform a thorough preliminary examination, determining stage of the oncological process and general condition of a patient. According to this information, the individualized treatment protocol is developed – it combines international recommendations and personal requirements of a patient.
Rinecker Proton Cancer Therapy Center has the following equipment:
- Four gantry (devices for proton irradiation) with movable couches for the patients
- A device for the treatment with a fixed beam (used in patients with tumors of the orbits, brain, skull base, etc.)
- Anesthetic equipment (children receive the treatment under general anesthesia)
- Devices for MRI, CT, PET-CT
- Devices for ultrasound, endoscopic examinations, angiography
- Own clinical laboratory
Rinecker Proton Cancer Therapy Center admits patients with tumors of the brain, sinuses and skull base, organs of the oral cavity and larynx, lungs and pleura, gastrointestinal tract, prostate, bladder, uterus, and ovaries. Proton therapy is well tolerated by patients and allows doctor to apply a large dose of radiation during each procedure. Due to this, treatment is carried out faster and gives significant result.
Urology Hospital Munich-Planegg
Urology Hospital Munich-Planegg began its work in 1969. Thanks to the constant improvement and expansion of specialization fields, it is a modern specialized urological hospital with a staff of 120 medical workers now.
Specialists of Urology Hospital Munich-Planegg deal with general urological pathologies, andrology, pediatric urology, urologic oncology, and reconstructive surgery. According to international ratings, this is the best European hospital which offers treatment of erectile dysfunction.
In addition, Department of Urology has been a certified prostate cancer treatment center for 10 years. Such examinations as the molecular genetic examination for early diagnostics of prostate cancer (PCA3 test) and HistoScanning (3D ultrasound examination of the prostate) are carried out here. Possibilities of robotic surgery, targeted and hormonal therapy are used here for treatment of tumors.
Another particular specialization of the hospital is plastic interventions in injuries of the urogenital system, congenital pathologies of the kidneys and external genital organs, and urinary incontinence in women. Urology Hospital Munich-Planegg admits more than 6,000 outpatients and more than 3,000 inpatients for treatment annually.
Costs of treatment in leading Munich hospitals
Costs of medical services in German hospitals are regulated on the state level – Federal Ministry of Health and Federal Medical Chamber deal with this issue.
Costs for the medical program depend primarily on the diagnosis. They are also affected by level of the hospital and qualification of the physician, necessary diagnostic and therapeutic measures, duration of hospital stay, and presence of serious concomitant diseases. Below you can find costs of basic diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
Oncology and Hematology
- Diagnostics of chronic lymphoblastic leukemia – from 3,086 €
- Proton therapy in brain tumors – 65,641 €
- Treatment of chronic myeloid (myeloblastic) leukemia with drugs (1 course) – from 7,276 €
- Treatment of prostate cancer with high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) – from 17,250 €
- Treatment of colorectal cancer with radiotherapy and chemotherapy – from 15,723 €
Orthopedics, Traumatology, and Endoprosthetics
- Diagnostics and conservative treatment of knee arthrosis – from 5,518 €
- Treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee joint with stem cells – from 21,021 €
- Treatment of meniscus injuries with arthroscopic meniscus transplantation – from 21,192 €
- Hip replacement – from 14,392 €
- Elbow joint replacement in arthrosis – from 20,079 €
Gynecology and Mammology
- Surgical treatment in mastopathy – from 5,656 €
- Arterial embolization in uterine fibroids – from 17,585 €
- Vaginal or laparoscopic hysterectomy in uterine fibroids – from 8,651 €
- Treatment of uterine prolapse by implantation of free synthetic loop (tension-free vaginal tape) – from 8,662 €
- Diagnostics of uterine prolapse – from 1,884 €
- Diagnostics of prostate adenoma – from 1,729 €
- Resection of prostate adenoma with the help of green laser – from 7,916 €
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) in prostate adenoma – from 7,518 €
- Treatment of prostate adenoma with minimally invasive adenomectomy – from 7,433 €
- Treatment of narrowing of the urethra (urinary tract) by bougienage – from 4,216 €
- Hip replacement surgery with rehabilitation – from 24,882 €
- Knee replacement surgery with rehabilitation – from 21,470 €
How to apply for the treatment in leading Munich hospitals?
According to work regulations, Munich hospitals admit for the treatment both citizens of Germany and international patients. However, patients from other countries should get acquainted with the peculiarities of booking a hospital and prepare necessary medical documents in advance.
For the patients, who have no experience of treatment in German hospitals, it will be more convenient to use help of the certified medical tourism operator – Booking Health. Booking Health offers help in such important aspects:
- Choosing the right clinic based on the annual qualification profile
- Establishing communication directly with your doctor
- Preparing medical program in advance, without repeating previous examinations
- Providing favorable costs, without overpricing and additional coefficients for foreign patients (saving up to 50%)
- Booking the appointment on the necessary date
- Monitoring medical program at all stages
- Help in buying and forwarding of medicines
- Communication with the clinic after treatment completion
- Control of invoices and return of unspent funds
- Organization of additional examinations
- Offering service of the highest level: booking hotels and plane tickets, transfer organization
Booking Health is the only medical tourism operator whose quality of work is confirmed by the international certificate ISO 9001:2015. Please, leave the request on the official website of the company, and our specialists will contact you within 24 hours in order to discuss details of the upcoming trip.
Choose treatment abroad and you will for sure get the best results!
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova